Personal injury cases are difficult and time-consuming for you, the victim. You are dealing with insurance claims, hospital bills, family devastation, injury or death aftermath, calls from law firms, and many other activities that occupy your time. You’re overwhelmed at the information coming at you, and the information that you must provide in order to move forward. Despite everything you must do, there are some ways to stay on top of the situation and find an attorney who will work with you to help you settle quickly and effectively.
Seeking out a law firm can be overwhelming, and there are many to choose from. Here are some tips for finding the right one who has your best interests in mind.
- Investigate the longevity and success rate of the firm.
- Is the firm renowned for handling personal injury cases?
- Do they have any outstanding records for successfully settling on behalf of their clients?
- How many attorneys work at the firm? Are there enough attorneys to handle your case, or are there too many? Either could be positive or negative depending on your needs.
- Ask about the fee structure, and assess what is best for you.
- Does the firm offer a complementary consultation to review your case before you employ them?
Once you have chosen a firm who will care for you in the best way, it is important to have some materials on hand when meeting with that firm, or attorney, for the first time. Be prepared and collected with:
- All written accounts of the incident
- Hospital bills and insurance bills to date
- Accounts from witnesses
- Photos of the scene
- Photos of your injury—before and after photos are particularly helpful for determining disfigurement and prolonged injury
While reliving the details of the accident may be emotionally difficult, having your facts in some type of order is necessary for enlisting someone on your side who can help you settle in the most fair way. Being prepared will allow you to move quickly toward resolution.