New York Train Accident Lawyers
Trains and subways are vital pieces of New York infrastructure, carrying millions of passengers around and beyond the Five Boroughs daily. Moreover, they offer a more affordable and practical option than driving a car around the city, contributing to fewer environmental emissions. That may be why fewer than half New York City households own a car.
Unfortunately, trains and subways are not without risk. Subway trains alone account for dozens of fatalities and many more injuries every year. If you or a loved one was hurt in a subway or train accident in New York City, you could be owed compensation – and the personal injury attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. can help you pursue it.
Our New York train accident attorneys are nationally recognized for our exceptional results and are committed to pursuing maximum compensation on your behalf. Our legal team has advocated for injured New Yorkers for nearly 40 years and has secured more than $1 billion in settlements and verdicts. We have the resources of a large firm, but we provide individual representation for every client. Call or contact us online, when you can discuss your case in a free consultation.
How a New York Train Accident Attorney Can Help You
Why should you work with Finz & Finz, P.C. after a train or subway accident? Because our New York train accident lawyers can help with your case by:
- Identifying the liable parties – The first step in any personal injury case is determining who caused your injuries. In a train accident, this could be anyone from the train operator or manufacturer to government transit agencies or other negligent parties. We will conduct a rigorous investigation to identify everyone responsible for the harm you have suffered.
- Maximizing your compensation – You have the right to compensation for the pain you suffer from a train accident. Furthermore, you may be left with substantial medical expenses and time lost from work. Our train accident attorneys will review your case, calculate the total value of your compensable losses, and demand you be paid for them.
- Filing your claim – Depending on who is liable for your injuries, you could have a short window to take legal action after a train accident. If a government agency is responsible for your damages, you may only have a few months to file a claim. You do not want to lose your right to compensation, and our train accident lawyers can file your claim or lawsuit quickly and correctly.
- Negotiating for a settlement – There is an art to insurance settlement negotiations and understanding that is crucial to maximizing your compensation after a train accident. Our legal team has decades of personal injury experience and knows how to make a compelling case on your behalf.
- Taking your case to trial – While most personal injury claims end before a trial is necessary, exceptions exist. If your case heads to court, you need an experienced litigator. Our train accident attorneys know the New York legal system inside and out, and we will prepare you for what to expect when you walk into court
New York Train Accident Cases We Handle
Our team is equipped to handle all manner of train accident cases. Some train accident cases we work on include the following:
- Amtrak accidents
- Freight train accidents
- Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) accidents
- Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) accidents
- Metro-North accidents
- New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ Transit) accidents
- Port Authority Trans-Hudson (PATH) train accidents
- Subway accidents
Whether you were injured while a train passenger or as a bystander, we are ready to help. If you suffered harm at someone else’s hands, we want to get you the compensation you need.
What are the Most Common Causes of New York Train Accidents Resulting in Injury?
According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, hundreds of Americans are killed annually in train and transit rail accidents. Some common causes of New York train accidents include:
- Failure to maintain and inspect trains and other equipment
- Mechanical failure
- Negligent hiring practices by government agencies or transit companies
- Outdated train safety mechanisms
- Passengers falling from elevated train tracks
- Passengers falling or being pushed onto train tracks
- Poorly maintained tracks and other transit infrastructure
- Speeding trains
- Train operators who are distracted, intoxicated, or otherwise negligent
- Train signal failure
- Assault and battery
Injuries from New York Train Accidents
A train’s sheer size and momentum mean that it can cause severe injuries in the event of an accident. These often include:
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Severed, crushed, or amputated limbs
- Soft-tissue injuries (sprains, strains, etc.)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
Who Is Responsible for a New York Train Accident?
The parties responsible for a New York train accident depend on the specific circumstances of the incident. The potentially liable parties include:
- Government agencies responsible for operating or maintaining trains
- Passengers or bystanders
- Train company employees
- Train manufacturers
- Train operators
- Transit companies
What Compensation is Available for Injuries From a New York Train Accident?
Your compensation after a New York train accident depends on factors including the severity of your injuries and the expenses they caused you.
A train accident attorney can review your case in detail and determine whether you can receive compensation for the following losses:
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
- Reduced future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Damaged personal property
How Long Do I Have to File a New York Train Accident Lawsuit?
One reason to contact an attorney quickly after a New York train accident is that you may have a short window to take legal action. The usual time limit to file a personal injury lawsuit in New York is three years, but that rule does not always apply to a train accident. For instance, you have 90 days from a train accident to file a claim against a government entity. So the best way to avoid issues with the statute of limitations for your train accident case is to speak to a lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact Our New York Train Accident Attorneys Now
You have no time to waste after a New York train accident. The team at Finz & Finz, P.C. is ready to review your case and determine how we can help. Call us today or visit our contact page for a free consultation.