New York Construction Accident Lawyer
Construction work ranks as one of the most dangerous occupations in America. Safety on construction sites has improved over the years, but individuals on construction sites still risk serious, long-term, and life-threatening injuries as they work.
When construction workers are injured on a construction site, they may be left in a hopeless and anxious state. They face financial stress as medical bills pile up as they are unable to work and earn a living.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., our New York construction accident attorneys know how construction accident injuries can turn our clients’ lives upside-down. That’s why we fight to secure record-setting financial recoveries for our clients. We’ve compiled a long track record of record-setting results for our clients. Among the cases we’ve won:
- Construction worker’s death. Our firm helped the family of a construction worker killed after being crushed by a falling piece of equipment. We obtained a $4.8 million settlement.
- Construction worker with a head injury. We helped another construction worker client who suffered head injuries after being struck by equipment operated by a co-worker. In that case, we secured a $2.6 million settlement.
- Client struck by concrete at a construction site. We fought and won a $2.5 million settlement from the state. Our client suffered a herniated disc after being struck by a concrete form that was negligently secured at a construction site on the Long Island Expressway.
If you have been injured in a NYC construction accident, contact Finz & Finz, P.C., today to schedule a free construction accident case evaluation. You will speak to our New York construction accident lawyers about your case. Our personal injury lawyers can explain your legal rights and options.
How a New York Construction Accident Attorney Can Help with Your Case
Our New York and Mineola construction accident attorneys can help you improve your chances of maximizing your financial recovery. We can help by:
- Providing a free case evaluation and answering your questions.
- Identifying the responsible parties. That can include the construction company, fellow construction workers, a third party on the construction site, or manufacturers of equipment, machinery, and vehicles.
- Thoroughly investigating every aspect of your accident.
- Securing all of the evidence necessary to show how your accident occurred — and who bears legal responsibility for your injuries.
- Document all of your injuries and other losses.
- Engaging the most highly qualified expert witnesses to maximize the strength and value of your case.
- Aggressively negotiating for a settlement.
- Preparing your case for trial, if necessary, and utilizing the most state-of-the-art digital and documentary courtroom presentation tools.
Why Choose Finz & Finz, P.C.?
When you have been injured in a construction accident, we recognize you have many attorneys or law firms to choose from. Your New York construction accident attorney can decide whether you need legal representation to help you collect compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered at your workplace.
How do you choose the firm that will secure maximum compensation for your injuries?
At Finz & Finz, P.C., we believe that our New York and Mineola workplace accident attorneys can bring the expertise and skill to your case. We will maximize your chances of obtaining the compensation that you need and deserve. This is our commitment to you.
For more than 35 years, our firm has focused on personal injury cases and litigated many of New York’s most complex cases. Our compassionate and seasoned support staff is committed to top-quality service. We regularly help our clients secure six-, seven-, and even eight-figure settlements and verdicts. That gives our clients the financial resources they need to get their lives back following a construction accident.
Our firm consists of a hand-picked team of accomplished, award-winning personal injury litigators, including four former judges. Our legal team is supported by a caring, skilled staff. We ensure that our clients receive nothing but the top-notch service and representation that they deserve. Our firm also enjoys partnerships with industry-leading experts who we consult on complex issues. Those experts help us craft strong, persuasive legal cases. We never quit.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., we are committed to seeing our clients receive maximum value in their cases. We never settle for anything less than fair and full compensation – and we will never advise you to accept anything less.
Compensation after a New York Construction Accident
When you suffer an injury in a construction accident, you may be entitled to various forms of compensation. New York’s scaffold law allows injured construction workers to bring personal injury lawsuits in many circumstances.
You may be able to assert a claim for liability against a party other than your employer. For instance, you may have a products liability claim against the manufacturer of a defective tool or piece of equipment. You may have a motor vehicle accident claim against a negligent driver.
Under those injury claims, you may be entitled to these compensation damages:
- Medical expenses, including hospital stays, doctor’s office visits, surgeries, therapy and rehabilitation, prescription medication, mobility equipment and other medical assistance equipment, home health care, or even home alterations to accommodate disabilities you’ve incurred as a result of your injuries.
- Lost wages, if you miss time from work due to your injuries.
- Lost earning capacity, if your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job and you can no longer earn a living.
- Pain and suffering, which covers the emotional and physical pain or distress brought about by your injuries.
- Lost quality of life, which arises from the consequences of your injuries. Lost quality of life may arise from disabilities, physical disfigurement, the inability to enjoy activities or the inability to complete tasks of daily living.
You may also be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. New York workers’ compensation law entitles you to certain benefits so long as you have a work-related injury or illness.
Workers’ compensation provides benefits for the reasonable and necessary medical treatment of your work-related injury or illness, partial wage replacement if you miss time from work, and disability benefits if you are rendered unable to return to your job.
Statute of Limitations on Construction Accidents Cases in New York
If you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit after your construction accident, the time period to do so is limited. This period is called the statute of limitations. Under New York law, the statute of limitations on a personal injury lawsuit is three years. The time limit begins on the date of the accident or incident that caused your injuries. If you fail to file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, the court can permanently dismiss your case.
If you file an injury claim against the state or a municipality, you must also comply with notice obligations. The law requires you to file a notice of that claim in the court of claims or in the applicable municipal court within 90 days of the accident giving rise to your claim. Although the court may allow a late notice upon a showing of good cause, an untimely notice generally bars your claim.
If you decide to seek workers’ compensation for your construction accident, other deadlines must also be filed.
- New York law requires you to report an on-the-job accident to your employer within 30 days, even if you are not seeking compensation at that time.
- Thereafter, you have two years from the date of your accident to file a claim for compensation for a work-related injury, or two years from the onset of symptoms to file a claim for compensation for a work-related illness.
- If you are seeking compensation for work-related hearing loss, you have three months to report your injury and up to 90 days to file a workers’ compensation claim.
If you fail to timely report your accident, or timely file a claim for workers’ compensation, you can be permanently barred from seeking workers’ compensation benefits.
Types of Construction Accidents
Construction accidents often occur because of dangerous working conditions or defective equipment and machinery. Common construction accidents we see here at Finz & Finz, P.C., include:
- Accidents caused by falling equipment and objects
- Accidents caused by tools
- Crane accidents
- Equipment and machinery crush accidents
- Falls from heights
- Fires and explosions
- Forklift accidents
- Inadequate ventilation
- Ladder accidents
- OSHA violations
- Scaffolding accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Toxic substance exposure
Common Construction Accident Injuries
The most common construction site accident injuries that our clients suffer include:
- Electrocution injuries
- Eye injuries
- Head injuries and traumatic brain injuries
- Illnesses caused by hazardous and toxic chemical exposure
- Internal organ injury and internal bleeding
- Joint injuries, including soft-tissue injuries to tendons, ligaments, and muscles
- Neck and back injuries
- Spine and spinal cord injuries
Talk to a Construction Accident Lawyer in New York Today
If you or a loved one have been injured in a construction site accident, you deserve compensation for your medical expenses, your lost wages, and your lost earning capacity. Don’t wait another day to start seeking the compensation and benefits that you deserve.
Contact Finz & Finz, P.C., today. We can schedule a free initial consultation to discuss the details of your case. We will analyze every aspect of your construction accident, and you’ll learn how our firm can help you successfully pursue your construction accident claim.