Earlier this year, Finz & Finz, P.C. posed a question on Facebook that sparked a conversation about the most dangerous streets and intersections in New York City. Unsurprisingly, New Yorkers had some strong opinions on the state of public roads in the Empire State.
Many respondents strongly asserted that all intersections in the city are risky.
However, others pointed to the following intersections as the worst in the Five Boroughs:
- Canal Street and Mott Street: One user claimed they “came close to death many times” at this touristy intersection between Little Italy and Chinatown.
- Myrtle Avenue and Broadway: One respondent said they witnessed “horrendous” pedestrian accidents at this busy Brooklyn intersection near the M, J and Z subway station.
- Liberty Street and Broadway: Another user noted that trucks often park illegally at this intersection in Brooklyn, creating dangerous blind turn conditions near Zuccotti Park in the Financial District.
- Flatbush Avenue and 4th Avenue: This Brooklyn intersection is immediately next to the Atlantic Terminal Mall, the Barclay’s Center, an Apple Store, and several other busy commercial centers.
- Queens Boulevard and Yellowstone Boulevard: One user commented that you should receive a trophy for safely crossing this high-traffic, awkwardly designed intersection in Forest Hills, Queens.
In addition, many Facebook users cited other hazardous intersections crossing Broadway (Manhattan), Main Street (Queens), Wall Street (Manhattan), and Queens Boulevard (Queens). NY traffic accidents occur more frequently in these locations due to congestion, distracted and aggressive driving, and unsafe road conditions.
Most Dangerous Intersections by Data
After reviewing the input from our Facebook community, we reviewed data prepared by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), which supported those Facebook users who were concerned about the dangers of New York City intersections. According to the IIHS, nearly two-thirds of New York accidents occur in urban areas such as the city.
Additional data show the most dangerous intersections include:
- Flatbush Avenue and Tillary Street: There is an average of 180 collisions each year at this Brooklyn intersection, which is located near public parks, hotels, educational institutions, the Manhattan Bridge and on/off ramps to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (BQE).
- 2nd Avenue and East 59th Street: This Manhattan intersection near Tramway Plaza and the Queensboro Bridge is home to roughly 150 accidents per year.
- West 42nd Street and 8th Avenue: Just north of the Garment District, this Manhattan intersection near the heart of Times Square sees approximately 140 collisions annually.
- Linden Boulevard and Pennsylvania Avenue: This intersection near Linden Park in Queens is a busy pedestrian thoroughfare with an average of 135 collisions each year.
- Atlantic Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue: Situated close to the busy Broadway Junction subway station and nearby Highland Park, this Brooklyn intersection sees roughly 130 accidents every year.
How a NY Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help
If you were injured as a pedestrian or in a motor vehicle collision at a dangerous intersection in New York, the New York car accident lawyers of Finz & Finz, P.C. will help you by:
- Explaining your legal options during a free case strategy review
- Conducting a thorough investigation into the crash to uncover and preserve evidence to determine who was responsible (oftentimes, there are multiple at-fault parties, and not just the vehicle that struck you)
- Retaining industry-leading experts to help build your case and testify on your behalf, such as accident reconstructionists, biomechanical engineers, orthopedists, neurologists, foreseeing economists, and life-care planners, as appropriate
- Proving how your accident caused you to suffer economic (including lost wages and loss of future earning capacity) and non-economic damages (including pain and suffering, loss of quality and enjoyment of life, and emotional trauma)
- Protecting your legal rights while communicating with other individuals, insurance companies, and defense attorneys on your behalf
- Drafting, filing and managing important documents, and meeting strict court-ordered deadlines related to your case
- Negotiating relentlessly to maximize your take-home compensation
- Preparing your case for trial, if necessary, including by utilizing state-of-the-art digital and documentary courtroom presentation tools
Finz & Finz, P.C. is a nationally recognized personal injury law firm serving New York and Long Island. Contact us today for a free, no-risk consultation with a highly experienced New York auto accident lawyer.