ShopRite is a retailers’ cooperative with multiple locations scattered across Long Island, including Plainview, Bay Shore, and Uniondale. It was originally founded in 1946 and is the largest food retailer in the New York area.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a Long Island ShopRite location, then you could be entitled to compensation. Contact one of our seasoned slip and fall accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. today to review your case at no charge.
Steps To Take If You’ve Been Injured in a ShopRite Store
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident in a ShopRite location, then there are several steps you should take after the slip and fall accident:
- Seek medical attention – The first thing you should do after being injured in a slip and fall is to seek medical treatment. If necessary, have a manager or bystander call 911. Many people opt to minimize their injury or ignore the pain they’re feeling right after an accident, but to be safe, you should always seek prompt medical care. Even if you think you’re not injured, it’s best to be evaluated right away. You may have sustained injuries you aren’t aware of, and insurance companies usually require that you be evaluated within a 72-hour window after the accident. It’s imperative not to put this step off.
- Document the scene of the accident – If you can, collect evidence at the scene of the accident. This evidence could eventually help you prove liability. If you can, take photos and videos of the scene of the accident using your smartphone. If you slipped on a wet surface, for instance, take photos of the slippery floor to demonstrate what caused the accident. Take photos from many different angles, including close-up photos of the hazard that caused your slip and fall and wide-angle photos of the entire scene. If others took photos or videos of the scene, be sure to collect that evidence from them as well. Lastly, you should also collect contact information from any witnesses who may have seen the accident occur. Our attorneys may be able to get a witness statement from them at a later date to help strengthen your case.
- Report the accident to the ShopRite store manager – Notify the grocery store’s management as soon as you can after the accident. If store management knew about a potential hazard — such as a floor spill — and did nothing to eliminate the hazard or warn customers about the hazard, then they could be held liable for damages. Make sure that you file an accident report with the ShopRite store. You should obtain a copy of this report, but if the store refuses, don’t press them further and consult with your attorney. Make a note of the manager’s identity. If they refuse to identify themselves, try to make a mental note of their physical description or take photos. You also should avoid making any statements to the manager or anyone associated with the ShopRite store.
- Maintain a pain journal – As you recover from your injuries, it’s a good idea to maintain a pain journal as a way of documenting your physical and emotional pain and suffering after the accident. You may be able to collect compensation for pain and suffering as part of your personal injury claim. Having a written record of the pain you endured as a result of the accident can help your attorney calculate the non-financial damages you are owed.
- Consult with a slip and fall accident attorney – You should consult with one of our dedicated slip and fall accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C., as soon as possible after the accident. It’s never a good idea to navigate the claims process alone, especially while recovering from your injuries. Insurance companies will use various tactics to try and reduce or deny your legitimate claim. Still, our attorneys know how to fight back against these tactics and help you seek the settlement you actually deserve. After gathering evidence to support your claim, our attorneys will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf while you focus on feeling better.
If you have any questions about what to do after being injured in a ShopRite location, reach out to one of our attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. on Long Island today for a free consultation.
What Not To Do If You’ve Been Hurt In A Shoprite Store
If you’ve been hurt in a ShopRite store, there are also certain actions you should avoid taking in the aftermath of the accident, such as:
- Don’t say that you “feel fine” – Although many people will try to brush off an injury in the moment out of embarrassment, you should never say that you “feel fine.” You can’t know the nature of your injuries until you are examined by a medical professional. If you say that you “feel fine,” the grocery store could later try to use that against you to avoid liability.
- Don’t post on social media – It is best not to discuss the accident on social media until your case is resolved. The insurance company could use anything you say against you to reduce or deny your claim, so be wary of speaking about your injuries on a public platform like Facebook.
- Don’t make a statement to the insurance company – The grocery store’s insurance company will likely call you in the days after the accident. The insurance adjuster who calls you might ask if they can take a recorded statement from you. Do not give them a statement. Don’t sign any documents or discuss the details of your accident with the insurance adjuster. Again, the insurance company could use anything you say to minimize the amount they must pay you or deny your claim altogether.
- Don’t accept a settlement without talking to an attorney – Sometimes, insurance companies will make you an initial offer right off the bat. They often do this when they believe that you have a strong compensation case, but you can be sure that whatever they offer you is less than what you actually need and deserve.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is vital to consult with an attorney before you enter into negotiations with the insurance company or provide them with any statements. Contact one of our slip and fall accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. today for a free consultation.
How a Long Island Slip and Fall Lawyer Could Help
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident at a ShopRite location, the attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. can help you seek the compensation you are entitled to. Our lawyers will:
- Conduct a thorough investigation of the accident
- Gather evidence to support your claim
- Document and calculate damages
- Pursue the compensation you are owed on your behalf
Contact the Long Island slip and fall attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. today for a free case review if you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident at a ShopRite location. We will discuss your case and help you evaluate your legal options. Reach out to our team today.