Have you been injured in a car accident in New York that was caused by a defect? If so, you may be able to seek compensation from the manufacturer through a product liability lawsuit. Defective manufacturing, improper installation, and repair mistakes of items like brakes and tires are common causes of automotive accidents.
If a car defect was the cause of your accident in New York, motor vehicle manufacturers could be held responsible for injuries that resulted from auto defects. The New York car accident attorneys of Finz & Finz, P.C. can explain what you can do if a defective part led to your accident and subsequent injuries. It is critical that you consult our highly skilled and experienced New York product liability lawyer as soon as possible.
Common types of vehicle defects that can either cause accidents or make injuries more severe during the crash include:
- Tire blowouts
- Seat belts that fail to function
- Roofs that cave in when the car rolls over
- Airbags that fail to deploy upon impact
- Door latches that fail, causing a passenger to be ejected
Finz & Finz, P.C., represents clients in a wide range of auto defect cases. We have built a strong reputation for getting results for our personal injury clients. At Finz & Finz, P.C., our lawyers are ready to help you recover full and fair compensation for the losses you have suffered. Call Finz & Finz, P.C. now at (855) TOP-FIRM or by filling out the free accident case evaluation form.
Categories of Product Liability Claims
Two main types of product liability claims affect auto designers, manufacturers, parts makers, and retailers:
When the issue stems from defective parts, it can be related to design or manufacturing. Defective parts can cause serious car accidents and injuries. A manufacturer may also be held liable for failure to warn if a known danger injures a driver or passenger.
Vehicles with a defective design are the result of an issue with the design. For example, a company designs a vehicle but does not take into account how heat may affect the power steering pump. If you are operating one of the company’s defective vehicles and suffer an injury after the power steering fails, the company may be held liable.
Common Types of Auto Defects
The vehicle parts most prone to defects or failures include:
- Airbags. Airbags do not always deploy when a car crashes with another vehicle or object. Sometimes airbags will deploy without warning or when they are not supposed to. Because airbags deploy quickly and with great force, their deployment can lead to serious injuries.
- Seatbelts. Seatbelt failure typically occurs when the seatbelt’s locking mechanism malfunctions and doe not properly restrain the occupant.
- Fuel systems. Combustion engines require the use of flammable liquids. Any failure within the fuel system can be extremely dangerous for the driver and passengers.
- Steering components. Problems can occur within the steering system, including malfunctions with the hydraulic lines, power steering pump, pinion, and rack. The steering wheel could also lock up due to electrical issues.
- Braking systems. Brakes can malfunction in a number of different ways. The brake lines can fail, brake fluid can leak, or brakes can lock up.
- Tires. Defective tires can cause blowouts. Also, steel-belted radial tires run the risk of tread separation, particularly when traveling at high speeds on a hot day.
Filing a Defective Vehicle Lawsuit
If you have hurt injured in an accident caused by defects or design flaws, you might be able to recover financial compensation.
To successfully file a lawsuit, they must prove the following:
- A dangerous defect is present.
- The car was being used properly and as intended.
- The car had not been altered from the condition it was sold in.
If all of these conditions are met, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer. When taking legal action against the auto part manufacturer, you must prove either that the manufacturer had a duty to warn you of the risk and failed in that duty. Finz & Finz, P.C. will work hard to assess the damage this defect has had on your life, including medical bills, lost wages, pain suffering, and other damages. We know how to make insurance companies deal fairly with our clients. Allow our skilled and compassionate attorneys to pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
In a product liability lawsuit, you may recover compensation for:
- Lost wages
- Emotional distress
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
Finz & Finz, P.C. have a long track record of securing multi-million-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients throughout New York. If you or a loved one was seriously hurt in a car accident that a defective motor vehicle or motor vehicle part caused, our team of compassionate legal professionals wants to hear from you. We can conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, bringing in accident construction experts and other leading experts to help determine what went wrong with the defective part.
We will fight for the full and fair compensation you deserve. If a settlement cannot be reached, we will not hesitate to try your case in court. We have extensive experience negotiating large settlements in complex auto defect matters.
Contact a New York Auto Defects Lawyer
Finz & Finz, P.C. has significant resources to handle complicated auto defect cases. We have handled cases involving all types of injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries, and other life-altering injuries. Our lawyers will aggressively pursue the compensation you need in this difficult time.
If you have sustained injuries as a result of a defective automobile or auto component, contact Finz & Finz, P.C., now at (855) TOP-FIRM to speak with an attorney experienced in defective auto part cases.