Neuroblate Overheating Causes Brain Injuries

divider

Neuroblate promised to be a literal lifesaver for many patients, presenting itself as a minimally invasive method of treating a variety of brain diseases. The primary use of Neuroblate was to treat brain tumors and other growths by excising them with minimal risk to the patient. The method of doing so was using a super-heated laser tip to destroy targeted tissue while leaving surrounding tissue undamaged.

The key to developing an effective implement that relies on super-heating is being able to keep that heating under control in all situations. Unfortunately, the makers of Neuroblate failed in this essential regard, despite having a special carbon monoxide apparatus to address the issue. The device as designed suffers from an overheating problem, with overheating responsible for:

  • Intracranial hemorrhage
  • Hemiparesis
  • Encephalitis

The device was designed to use carbon monoxide to rapidly cool the tip in case of overheating. This introduced an additional danger, however, in that when the tip broke off, the carbon monoxide would leak into surrounding tissue. Carbon Monoxide used as a cooling agent poses a high risk of causing significant damage to the brain if not properly controlled.

The Neuroblate faced a FDA recall, but the manufacturer quickly obtained approval of a redesigned model which uses a different method of superheating the tip of the device. Time will tell if the new version poses the same risks, but such quick approval of a product that replaces a similarly designed and already proven dangerous product is frightening.

If you or someone you love has suffered a brain bleed or other negative repercussion of being treated with a Neuroblate, it is important to seek out a qualified attorney. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the process of holding the manufacturer accountable for their defectively designed device.