Were you injured in a slip and fall accident at Best Market Grocers? You could be entitled to recover compensation for medical expenses, lost income, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, and more. If you were injured as a result of the grocery store’s negligence, you should not be responsible for costs associated with your injuries.
The slip and fall attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. can help you hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence. We have the knowledge and skills to thoroughly investigate the incident, gather evidence to support your case, document and calculate damages you are owed, identify the liable party or parties involved, and aggressively seek the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Our attorneys will handle every aspect of your case on your behalf so that you can focus on your recovery. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our seasoned slip and fall accident attorneys.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents in Grocery Stores
Slip and fall accidents are unfortunately common in grocery stores. Spilled water and other liquids that store employees fail to clean up can easily cause a customer to slip and injure themselves, as can defective floors and walkways.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents in grocery stores include:
- Wet floors
- Cracked pavement and walkwaysPoorlyy stocked items that fall from shelves
- Improperly placed, scrunched up, or missing floor mats
- Obstructions within grocery store aisles, such as boxes
- Defective shopping carts
- Damaged or cracked floors
When grocery store staff fails to eliminate potential hazards, terrible slip and fall accidents can occur. If you were injured as a result of a grocery store’s negligence, contact our attorneys today to discuss your case and assess your legal options.
Common Injuries Sustained in Grocery Stores
Slip and fall accidents can lead to a variety of injuries. While some accidents may be minor, slip and falls can also be severe, depending on the circumstances of the accident.
Some common injuries that customers sustain in grocery stores like Best Market Grocers include:
- Fractured or broken bones
- Cracked pelvis
- Fractured hip
- Traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Skull fractures
- Head wounds
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Some individuals are particularly vulnerable to injury in a slip and fall accident, such as children and the elderly. Elderly individuals who sustain bone fractures, for instance, may have a much harder time healing in the aftermath of the accident, leaving them disabled or unable to perform day-to-day tasks.
Who Is Liable for My Slip and Fall Accident?
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident at Best Market Grocers or another grocery chain, then you can hold the at-fault party liable for negligence through a premises liability claim.
In New York, property owners are required to keep their property reasonably safe for visitors in both residential and commercial spaces. Grocery store owners owe a duty of care to eliminate any hazards to customers, or at least make customers aware of potential risks.
If grocery store staff fail to clean up a hazard and you are injured as a result, you are entitled to hold the store accountable.
What Should I Do If I Am Injured in A Slip and Fall Accident at Best Market Grocers?
If you were injured in a slip and fall at Best Market Grocers, you should follow these steps after the accident:
- Seek prompt medical attention – It is essential that you receive a medical evaluation as soon as possible after the accident, even if you don’t think you are severely injured. You could have sustained injuries you aren’t yet aware of, including internal injuries or hematomas, and a doctor will be able to detect these before they cause complications. Insurance companies also generally require accident victims to be evaluated within 72 hours after the accident, otherwise they may try to argue that your injuries did not stem from this particular incident.
- Determine what caused the accident – Examine the scene of the accident and try to assess what caused the accident. It might be spilled liquid that wasn’t cleaned up by staff, a cracked walkway, or a pile of boxes that were left in an aisle.
- Document the scene – If you can, take down notes about the cause of the accident, and try to be as detailed as possible. Take photos of the scene from various angles to capture the full scope of the hazard that caused you to slip. You should also take pictures of the injuries you sustained, if possible.
- Request surveillance video footage – If the accident was caught on tape, the footage could significantly strengthen your case. If you are unable to obtain the footage yourself, an attorney can intervene on your behalf.
- Talk to witnesses – If there are any bystanders nearby who witnessed the accident, ask them for their contact details. They might be able to provide a statement later detailing what occurred, which could corroborate your story and bolster your case.
- Don’t admit fault – In the shock of the moment, you might find yourself admitting fault or apologizing, even though you did not cause the accident. Be careful with what you say. Any admission of guilt or apology could later be used against you in a claim against the grocery store.
- Consult with an attorney – It is essential to consult with an experienced slip and fall accident attorney as soon as possible after the accident. Your attorney will act as your advocate and will guide you through the claims process. An attorney can even negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf. Insurance companies will use various tactics to try and reduce or deny your claim, but a skilled attorney will know how to subvert those tactics, improving your chances of securing a fair settlement.
Contact Our Slip and Fall Attorneys Today
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident at Best Market Grocers or another grocery store in New York, contact Finz & Finz, P.C. today for a free consultation to discuss your case and evaluate your legal options.