When we think of holiday shopping, we think of discovering that perfect gift for someone special, bell ringers in front of the store, shoppers bundled up to weather the cold, and wishing good cheer to passers-by. We rarely think of what might happen if we’re not paying attention while shopping, to the point of getting hurt on an enjoyable day. We all know that traffic accidents are more pronounced during holiday shopping season; drivers are fighting for parking spaces, racing in parking lots, and flocking to the mall to be first in line for that limited edition item. But, what about accidents that happen right in the vicinity of the store? Here are a few incidents that could happen:
- Slipping and falling on a patch of ice while getting off the curb, packages in hand.
- Elevator accidents from loose strings or cords hanging from your or your packages that could easily be caught on a railing.
- Escalator accidents when open-toed shoes catch on the step or stair as it is moving.
- Tripping on carpets or mats that have bunched up from the excessive traffic.
- Running into someone who is not paying attention because they are texting or talking on the phone in a crowd of people.
- Being trampled on or suffocated in a line. While we hear of incidents like this during concerts or sporting events, it’s best to stay out of a line that has propensity of mayhem once the doors open. Is it really that important to get the first item on the shelf?
- Parking lots where accidents of all kinds happen, such as children who may be running in the parking lot or not paying attention to where they are going. Hit and runs happen all the time in parking lots; you don’t want to be one of those statistics.
- Elevator injuries from improperly timed door closures to becoming stuck between floors.
Holiday shopping is a fun time, in between catching up with friends and family to find the perfect gift. While you are out shopping on Black Friday this year, staying safe is also the best gift you could give yourself and your family this season.
If you have been injured by someone’s carelessness during a shopping excursion or while driving or in a parking lot, an attorney who handles personal injury cases can help you seek out the compensation you deserve at this time.