A 28-year-old man in Antioch, Illinois was arrested on October 8th, 2017, after a firework accident at a party he attended. The young man had brought fireworks with him to the party, and a woman lit one thinking it was a candle. The explosive went off in her hand, requiring a trip to the hospital for her and a small child.
Fireworks safety is extremely important, and the level of negligence displayed in this incident is sad. The accused:
- Brought fireworks to a party
- Did not inform others that the items were fireworks
- Did not properly secure the fireworks
- Did not monitor the interactions of others with the fireworks
Fireworks are inherently dangerous, which makes proper safety incredibly important when dealing with them. They are explosives, and should always be respected as explosives. Seeing them as toys, as some people do, or as safe entertainment is the wrong mindset. Fireworks should never be randomly brought to a party. Fireworks should not be taken anywhere without a specific plan on how they are to be used, and proper safety precautions being taken to secure them until the time they are fired.
The host of the party might also be partially at fault in this situation. Allowing a guest to bring a dangerous item into your home is a bad idea. In this circumstance, the object was never hidden, and the host should have been aware it was there. A host is responsible for the safety of his party.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a fireworks accident, you are well aware of how dangerous these explosives can be. It is important that all Americans understand the danger of fireworks. Please, retain an experienced attorney who can help you make your case against the people who put your safety at risk.