Commercial truck accidents are common in New York. Due to the size and weight of commercial trucks, accidents involving these vehicles often result in serious injuries or fatalities. These injuries can be devastating, leading to long-term medical treatment, loss of income, and emotional trauma. We will explore common commercial truck accident injuries in New York, including what damages an injured person can recover, what types of injuries occur, how common truck accidents are, and why an accident victim should hire an experienced attorney.
If a truck accident injured you or a loved one, the New York truck accident attorneys at Finz & Finz can help you pursue compensation for your injuries. We can guide you through the process of an insurance claim and, if needed, a lawsuit to hold the negligent parties accountable. Let us handle the details while you recover. Call us twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, at 1-855-TOP-FIRM for a free case review.
Common Causes of Commercial Truck Accidents
Truck drivers must attend special training and obtain a commercial driver’s license, which requires them to pass periodic medical evaluations. The federal government has established safety regulations to encourage safe commercial vehicle operations. These regulations include driving time limits, rest and break requirements, weight limits, and special hazardous materials rules.
Truck drivers can still get distracted, tired, or even drive recklessly despite these safety measures. And despite regulations, vehicles sometimes fail. A breakdown in the braking or steering systems, or even a tire blowout, can cause devastating accidents. Even the best-intended laws and regulations cannot stop all accidents, and commercial truck accidents can occur for many reasons. Some of the most common causes of commercial truck accidents include the following:
- Driver Fatigue – Commercial truck drivers often work long hours and may not take enough breaks, leading to driver fatigue.
- Distracted Driving – Truck drivers may become distracted by their phones, GPS systems, or other devices, leading to accidents. Distracted driving also includes things like eating and looking for items.
- Mechanical Failure – Trucks are complex machines that require regular maintenance to function properly. If a truck is not maintained correctly, mechanical failure can occur, leading to accidents.
- Overloaded or Improperly Loaded Trucks – If a truck is overloaded or not loaded properly, it can affect the vehicle’s stability and maneuverability, leading to accidents.
- Speeding – Commercial truck drivers may feel pressure to complete routes quickly rather than safely, leading to a driver error with dangerous consequences.
Types of Injuries
The injuries sustained in a commercial truck accident can vary widely. Each accident has different variables, such as vehicle speed, weight, collision angle, and the number of vehicles involved. However, some common types of injuries often accompany the traumatic force of a truck accident, including the following:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – The tremendous forces in an accident often cause traumatic brain injuries, which occur when a person receives brain damage due to a sudden blow or jolt to the head. These injuries can result in long-term cognitive and physical disabilities. The impact of a commercial truck collision can cause a person’s head to hit the windshield, steering wheel, or other hard surfaces in the vehicle, leading to TBI.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries can occur when the spinal cord suffers shock and trauma in a truck accident. These injuries can lead to paralysis, loss of sensation, and chronic pain.
- Fractures and Broken Bones – Commercial truck accidents can result in broken bones and fractures due to impact force. These injuries can be severe, leading to long-term medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Burns and Lacerations – Burns and lacerations are common injuries in truck accidents due to the collision’s impact or debris flying from the accident. Burns can cause permanent scarring, while lacerations can result in severe bleeding and disfigurement.
- Internal Injuries – The impact of a commercial truck collision can cause internal injuries to the organs, such as the spleen or liver. These injuries can be life-threatening and require emergency medical attention.
Types of Compensation in a Car Accident Case
If you have been injured in a commercial truck accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation. Some of the types of compensation you may be able to recover include:
- Medical Expenses – You may be able to recover the costs of medical treatment, including doctor visits, prescription medication, hospital stays, surgeries, and ongoing medical care.
- Lost Income – If you are unable to work due to your injuries, you may be able to recover lost wages and benefits.
- Property Damage – If the accident damaged your vehicle or other personal property, you might be able to recover the costs of repairs or replacement.
- Pain and Suffering – You may be able to recover compensation for physical pain and emotional suffering caused by the accident and your injuries.
- Loss of Consortium – If your injuries have caused a loss of companionship or support from a spouse or loved one, you may be able to recover damages for loss of consortium.
What is the Statute of Limitations on Truck Accidents?
If you received injuries in a New York truck accident, you should be aware of New York’s statute of limitations for personal injury. This law provides a limited amount of time in which you must file a lawsuit to recover compensation for your injuries. In New York, the statute of limitations on truck accident lawsuits provides three years from the date of your accident in which to file. If you do not file a lawsuit within that time, might be unable to pursue compensation. That is why speaking with an experienced New York truck accident attorney right away is very important.
Call Us After Your Truck Accident.
If a truck accident injured you or caused someone you love to lose their life, we can help. Call our experienced New York truck accident attorneys at Finz & Finz. We answer the phone 24/7 and can schedule a free case review when you call us at 1-855-TOP-FIRM. Or, you can contact us online.
We look forward to helping you evaluate your claim and seek the compensation you deserve for your injuries.