A Dave & Buster’s customer was hospitalized after being exposed to carbon monoxide at a Staten Island location of the restaurant chain on September 2nd, 2018. The source of the exposure was a soda vending machine with a punctured line. Carbon dioxide is used in the carbonation process for dispensing soda.
This was not the only incident of carbon dioxide poisoning in the last few months. On July 31st, 2018, one woman was killed and another injured while transporting Dippin’ Dots ice cream. The dessert was being kept cold with dry ice, and the fumes from the dry ice built up in the vehicle to a dangerous level, rendering both women unconscious.
Carbon dioxide poisoning is much rarer than carbon monoxide poisoning, but both pose significant risks and can even be fatal. The vectors of exposure are similar for both, with certain devices likely to leak the fatal gases into the environment. Sources of exposure include:
- Water heaters
- Gas and wood burning stoves
- Motor vehicles
Regular maintenance and replacement of these devices (where applicable) is one method of lessening the likelihood of dangerous exposure. The most cost-effective solution is to install carbon monoxide detectors around the house, particularly in areas where gas is likely to build up. Knowing the symptoms of exposure can also be helpful, and if everyone in the house becomes drowsy unexpectedly and at the same time of day, this could be the cause.
If you or someone you love has suffered due to exposure to carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, it is important to determine whether or not proper steps were taken to minimize the risk of exposure, particularly if you are in a rental property or another business when the incident occurs. Please, consult with an experienced attorney regarding your case.