If you’ve lived in or visited New York City, chances are you’ve hailed a cab at some point. Many New Yorkers don’t own cars and regularly use other, public forms of transportation, including trains and taxis.
But what happens if you are involved in a taxi accident? If you sustain injuries, who is responsible for compensating you? Knowing what to do after a taxi accident and how to claim the compensation you need to recover can help ensure that you are prepared if you are ever involved in a taxi accident in New York.
If you’ve been injured in a taxi accident, the taxi accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. can help. We will launch a full investigation into the circumstances of the accident, advise you of your legal options, and help you pursue the compensation you need to recover. Reach out to us today for a free consultation.
Is My Taxi Driver Responsible For My Injuries?
Because taxi drivers typically work for a taxi company, the taxi company can be held responsible. If their employee is negligent in their duty of care and causes a collision, the taxi company would be responsible for compensating you.
However, sometimes taxi accidents are caused by other motorists. If you’re riding in a taxi and another motorist causes a collision with the cab, then you could file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company.
New York City requires taxi companies to provide liability coverage to protect passengers if one of their drivers causes a collision that results in injuries.
All taxi companies are required to provide:
- $100,000 of liability coverage for one passenger
- $300,000 for all individuals involved in a single accident
However, if the taxi is not licensed, coverage could be a lot lower, potentially as low as $25,000 per passenger and $50,000 per accident. Depending upon the severity of your injuries, this could severely limit the amount of compensation you need to recover.
If you are injured in a taxi accident, you will generally file a claim against the taxi company’s no-fault insurance policy. New York is a no-fault state, which means that when drivers get into accidents, they generally turn to their own insurance policies to cover damages. However, if your injuries meet New York’s serious injury threshold, then you may be able to file a claim against the taxi company’s liability coverage. The cost of severe injuries typically exceeds the limits of the taxi company’s no-fault policy. Still, the company’s liability insurance policy would cover damages that the no-fault policy cannot.
What To Do After A Taxi Accident
If you have been injured in a taxi accident, the claim process is relatively similar to what you would do if you had been involved in a collision in your vehicle.
However, there are two key distinctions:
- You must alert both your insurance provider and the taxi company about the accident and the injuries you sustained because of it.
- If you don’t have an insurance policy, you obviously won’t need to report the accident to your insurance provider. Many New Yorkers do not have car insurance because they don’t own cars. In this case, you will rely on the taxi company’s no-fault insurance coverage and, depending upon the severity of your injuries, potentially the taxi company’s liability insurance policy for coverage.
If you’ve been involved in a taxi accident, you should follow these steps after the accident:
- Call 911 – Police will attend the scene and make a report that includes pertinent details about the accident scene, indication of fault, testimony from witnesses, descriptions of damages and injuries, contact information, and other relevant info. You can obtain a copy of the police report later to help support your claim.
- Seek medical attention – Emergency services personnel will attend the scene alongside law enforcement. Get evaluated by a medical professional as soon as possible, whether at the accident scene or soon after that. You may have injuries that have not yet become apparent, and medical professionals will be able to detect any issues you may have overlooked. By getting evaluated soon after the accident, you will also be supporting your claim. The last thing you want is for the insurance company to try and argue that your injuries did not stem from the accident.
- Take photos and videos – If you are able, take pictures and videos at the scene to have a visual record of what occurred. Take pictures of the scene, your injuries, debris, damage to vehicles, and more. The more pictures you can take at the location of the accident, the better.
- Document the scene of the accident – If you are able, be sure to jot down the contact information for every driver involved in the crash. Also, be sure to note each vehicle’s license plate, and obtain insurance information for all drivers involved.
- Get contact info from witnesses – It’s a good idea to take down contact information from any bystanders who may have witnessed the accident. This information will often be included in the police report, but it’s always a good idea to have a copy of your own if the police overlook or fail to speak to a vital eyewitness. Eyewitness testimony can be used as evidence to support your case.
- Report the accident – Report the collision to your insurance provider, if you have one, and to the taxi company. This report is separate from a claim, but if you don’t report the accident within a certain amount of time, you could potentially forfeit your ability to claim compensation for your injuries.
- Consult with an attorney – Investigating taxi accidents can be particularly challenging. Taxi accidents are more complicated than your typical collision between two passenger vehicles because they involve the taxi company and the taxi company’s insurance provider in addition to your insurance provider. An experienced taxi accident attorney will know how to navigate the complex claim process and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurer.
Contact A New York Taxi Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been injured in a collision while riding in a taxi, get in touch with the dedicated New York car accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. today. Our attorneys have the knowledge and resources to conduct a full investigation into the accident, determine liability, and help you seek the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free and confidential consultation.