The purpose of a motorcycle crash bar is to reduce damage to the engine and body panels as well as protect the rider in the event of an accident. A motorcycle crash bar is a fairly simple piece of safety equipment. A crash bar is typically a hoop-shaped, chrome-plated steel tube mounted on each side of the lower frame of the bike. The crash bars protrude a few inches wider than the bike so that when the bike strikes the ground, the engine and frame do not also hit the ground.
The experienced New York personal injury lawyers at Finz & Finz P.C. take pride in helping those whose lives have been upended by traumatic motorcycle accidents. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may have had to miss work and paychecks as the medical bills pile up. Allow our highly skilled and compassionate motorcycle accident lawyers to help you seek compensation and get through this difficult time. Call us today at 855-TOP-FIRM to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.
Common Reasons for Using Motorcycle Crash Bars
- Rider safety – Motorcyclists use crash bars to help protect their lower legs in low-speed crashes and side-swipe accidents.
- Protect the paint – If you drop your motorcycle or are involved in a minor accident, crash bars might protect the paint on the tank and sides from damage.
- Protect the engine – Because motorcycle engines are so important and expensive, you want to be sure to protect them from damage in case you get in a crash.
- Extra handholds – They give you something to hold on to if you drop your motorcycle.
- Extra lights and footpegs – You can mount additional lights and footpegs on crash bars.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Crash Bar Materials
- Aluminum – This material is lightweight, so it won’t add much extra weight to your motorcycle. Aluminum crash bars won’t significantly impact the agility of your bike. It is generally weaker than steel and is usually more costly.
- Stainless steel – This material does not rust easily. But it’s not as flexible as aluminum. Because of the lack of flexibility, it’s not especially durable and is more prone to cracking.
- Mild steel – Unlike aluminum and stainless steel, mild steel does rust easily. However, it’s generally cheaper and still tough.
Not all motorcycle crash bars are created equally. It’s important to consider the quality of the crash bars you purchase. According to a study from Monash University, motorcycle crash bars are sometimes “too flimsy or poorly designed to be effective.” The study found that the effectiveness of protecting the rider’s lower legs may be constrained to a limited number of types of crashes and circumstances.
While crash bars won’t stop the motorcyclist from getting thrown from their bike in a crash, they can prevent the motorcycle from falling on the rider. Leg injuries are some of the most common injuries in motorcycle accidents. Research indicates that crash bars can help to reduce lower leg injuries and ankle injuries. Crash bars can also be especially beneficial if the motorcyclist is involved in a tip-over at a low speed. If the motorcycle falls on its side, the crash bar will absorb the impact and prevent the motorcycle from crashing the rider’s leg. Furthermore, crash makes make it easier to pick the bike up.
How a New York Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
Having an experienced motorcycle accident attorney on your side can give you a much greater chance of recovering the compensation you deserve.
The New York motorcycle accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C can help you with your motorcycle accident case in the following ways:
- Conduct a free consultation, during which we will answer any questions you may have regarding your case and what the claims process entails.
- Thoroughly investigate and document your New York motorcycle accident case.
- Identify all the liable parties responsible for your injuries. That may include negligent drivers, government entities responsible for bad roads, or the manufacturer who made a defective motorcycle or motorcycle part.
- Recreate the accident with accident reconstruction experts to explain how the accident occurred.
- Speak with doctors and medical experts to determine the extent of your injuries.
- Consult with vocational experts can help determine your lost earning capacity if your injuries prevent you from working or performing your job as you did before.
- File an insurance claim on your behalf.
- Negotiate a full and fair settlement for the compensation you deserve.
- File a personal injury lawsuit if a settlement agreement cannot be reached.
- Argue your case at trial and secure damages.
Contact a New York Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
At Finz & Finz, P.C., we handle motorcycle accident cases in New York City and throughout the state of New York. If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in New York, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Our highly skilled and compassionate legal team will investigate every aspect of your accident and build a strong case on your behalf. We are determined to hold the at-fault parties accountable for their negligence as we fight for the full and fair compensation you need and deserve. The experienced New York motorcycle accident attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. will help you through every step of the legal process.
To schedule a free initial consultation, contact us at any time at 855-TOP-FIRM. The New York motorcycle accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C. are prepared to help you move forward with your life after a motorcycle accident. Our New York personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means that we do not get paid until you receive a financial award.