Drowning Not Only Risk from Pools


A New Jersey man died on September 30th, 2018, from a rare brain eating amoeba called Naegleria fowleri. He had recently returned from a vacation to Waco, Texas, and may have contracted the deadly parasite from the wave pool at the facility where he stayed. Investigators are collecting water samples to determine whether or not other bathers may be at risk, and the owner has promised to participate in all requested investigations.

Drowning is the most familiar risk when dealing with pool accidents, but it is nowhere near the only risk, particularly when dealing with hotels and other public pools. The risk of disease exposure is very high, as many of these facilities lack proper protocols and safeguards to prevent infectious people from using the pool. Though brain eating amoebas are rare, stomach infections and other diseases are much more prevalent, and can result in serious long-term health effects including death.

Hotel pools also prevent a risk of carbon monoxide exposure, particularly if they are enclosed. In New York and other colder areas, many hotels will have an indoor pool so guests can use the facilities year round. These pool areas are at high risk for build-up of noxious gases, particularly if generators are in use. There are also chemical interactions between chlorine and other pool gases that can result in deadly combinations.

If you or someone you love has suffered a significant health issue due to exposure at a hotel or other public meeting place, and you believe that the location was negligent with regards to safety, please consider consulting with an experienced attorney regarding your case. Hotels and other businesses must be held accountable for failures to develop and follow proper protocols to ensure their health of their patrons.

  • About the Author
  • Latest Posts

Finz & Finz, P.C. is a New York and Long Island personal injury law firm based out of Mineola, NY. It was founded in 1984 and is highly rated, with many honors and awards of excellence.