Crashes Involving Government Vehicles in New York

Police lights

After a car crash in New York, you can seek compensation by filing a claim with your own insurance. If your injuries are severe enough, you may also file a claim against the party who caused your wreck. However, navigating these claims is a complex process if you’ve been hurt in a car accident with a government vehicle. A government vehicle accident lawyer is a critical ally in these situations.

What Is Considered a Government Vehicle?

A government vehicle accident is a collision involving any vehicle a government agency owns or operates. Common examples of government vehicles in NYC and on Long Island include:

  • Departments of Public Works, Transportation, Environmental Protection, Buildings, Parks and others
  • Emergency Medical Services
  • Garbage trucks
  • Municipal buses (NYCTA, MTA, NICE, HART, and others)
  • New York City, County, Town, and Village AgenciesDepartment of Public Works
  • Police (NYPD, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Town, and Village)
  • School buses
  • United States Postal Service (USPS)

If you’re unsure whether a vehicle is owned or operated by the government, check the words and logos printed on it. A government vehicle may state that a town or city owns it (such as New York City, the Town of Oyster Bay, or the Village of Mineola). Or, it may bear the name or logo of a government agency.

The experienced team at Finz & Finz, P.C. handles all types of government vehicle accidents. Review your case with us if you’re unsure whether your wreck qualifies as a car accident with a government vehicle. We’ll gladly answer your questions on this topic.

What To Do After an Accident Involving a Government Vehicle in New York

Take the following steps in the hours and days following an accident with a government vehicle:

  • Follow your doctor’s orders –You must seek medical care after any motor vehicle collision. According to a  National Library of Medicine study, crash victims may develop injury symptoms days after their wrecks. You may have injuries you don’t know about.
  • Gather evidence –Take pictures of the accident scene and your injuries if possible. Get the names and contact information of witnesses, too. Save copies of medical bills and other such documentation of your losses.
  • Keep a pain journal –A pain journal can help if you seek compensation for struggles such as pain and suffering. Write down your pain, discomfort, and physical limitations on a daily basis.
  • Stay off social media –An insurance adjuster may use your social media posts against you. Avoid this by staying off social media while your case is pending.
  • Finally, consult with a government vehicle accident attorney. The laws for seeking compensation from government agencies can be complex. An attorney familiar with these laws could help you navigate the claims process.

Statute of Limitations on Accident Cases Involving Government Vehicles

If your crash involved a state-owned vehicle, you must file a claim with the New York State Court of Claims. In that case, you must file a “Notice of Intention” within 90 days from the date of the accident.

If your accident involved a local municipal vehicle (a vehicle owned by New York City, or a town, county or village, for example), then you must file a “Notice of Claim” with the appropriate municipal agency within 90 days from the time of your crash. Accordingly, so it’s critically important to take action as soon as possible.

You may seek compensation under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) if your crash involved a federal government vehicle. Per 28 U.S. Code § 2401, you have two years from the time of a collision to take legal action against the federal government.

If you do not file your claim within the required deadlines, you may be forever barred from recovery.

Talk to an Experienced Government Vehicle Accident Attorney in New York Today

Unsure of how to proceed after a government vehicle accident? At Finz & Finz, P.C., an experienced government vehicle accident attorney can provide the assistance you need. For 40 years, we’ve helped injured New Yorkers recover from serious accidents and injuries. Our legal team has obtained record-breaking results for clients throughout New York and the United States.

Get started today by contacting our New York City car accident lawyer for a free case review.

  • About the Author
  • Latest Posts

Finz & Finz, P.C. is a New York and Long Island personal injury law firm based out of Mineola, NY. It was founded in 1984 and is highly rated, with many honors and awards of excellence.