UPDATE: Queens Woman Who Hit Port Authority Officer Faces Additional Charges


QUEENS, NY – In an update to a story we previously reported, police now allege that the woman who injured a Port Authority officer and two Jersey City officers in a vehicle collision last Tuesday was driving while intoxicated.

The Associated Press reports that Flushing resident Amandeep Tiwana, 27, was originally charged with assault by auto after the incident that left Officer Peter Siano, III in critical condition at the Jersey City Medical Center. Today, however, the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office added a charge of driving while intoxicated.

Tiwana was approaching the entrance to the Holland Tunnel at about 1 a.m. on April 28 when she lost control of her vehicle and hit a road divider. Her vehicle then caromed into a police cruiser and Officer Siano, who was providing traffic control around the site of a previous accident. Tiwana and the two Jersey City officers were treated for minor injuries at a local hospital.

Officer Siano remains in critical but stable condition.

What to Do After a Car Accident

Knowing what to do in the immediate aftermath of a car accident can be vitally important to securing financial compensation for your injuries, whether from your own insurance provider or from the guilty party’s. Here are the simple steps to take if you’ve been involved in a car accident:

  1. Stop. Do not leave the scene of an accident.
  2. Check yourself. Assess your medical condition.
  3. Alert fellow motorists. Clear the vehicles from the roadway if possible. Put on your hazard lights. Set up road flares or reflectors when necessary.
  4. Call the police. If a serious injury has occurred, call 911 immediately. Otherwise, call the police.
  5. Give an accurate statement. Tell the police what happened. Be honest.
  6. Document the scene. Take photos of the scene with your phone. Write down what happened.
  7. Exchange information with the other driver, including name, telephone number, and insurance details.
  8. Notify your insurance provider about the accident. They should handle the details from here.
  9. Seek medical attention if necessary.
  10. Contact a lawyer. If your insurance provider isn’t covering the costs of your accident, you should consider taking your case to a trusted lawyer.

If you or someone you love has been injured in a traffic accident caused by someone else’s negligence, the New York car accident attorneys of Finz & Finz, P.C., can help you fight for the justice you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation, and to learn more about securing financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses.

  • About the Author
  • Latest Posts

Finz & Finz, P.C. is a New York and Long Island personal injury law firm based out of Mineola, NY. It was founded in 1984 and is highly rated, with many honors and awards of excellence.