How Can a New York City Premises Liability Lawyer Help?
When you’re injured on another person’s or business’s property – and a dangerous condition caused your injury – you can seek compensation for your damages and other losses. An experienced New York City premises liability attorney can maximize the case value of your premises liability claim. Our New York City premises liability lawyers can help you by:
- Thoroughly investigating your accident. Premises liability cases can be factually complex. Property owners will dispute the existence of a dangerous condition or their knowledge of, and opportunity to correct, those conditions. We work tirelessly to collect evidence in your premises liability case.
- Securing evidence. Substantial evidence, such as an accident/incident report or surveillance video, may be available when your premises liability accident occurs in a commercial establishment. Our attorneys ensure that evidence is preserved in the regular business course.
- Identifying responsible parties and sources of compensation. Premises liability cases may raise the issue of which party bears responsibility for the victim’s injuries. Our attorneys can determine whether a property owner, business owner, or management company is to blame. We can also identify all available sources of compensation, including layered insurance policies.
- Negotiating settlements and pursuing litigation. We aggressively pursue a settlement that provides you with complete and fair compensation. When payment isn’t possible, we tirelessly prepare your case to go to trial if necessary. We aim to ensure you obtain the highest financial recovery you deserve. For more than 35 years, we have done just that.
Why Choose Finz & Finz, P.C.?
If you have a premises liability claim in New York City, you have many attorneys and law firms to choose from. But how can you know which firm suits you and your case? Unfortunately, not all premises liability lawyers are created equal.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., our New York City premises liability lawyers bring the expertise, knowledge, and skill you need to successfully pursue compensation in your claim. For more than 35 years, our attorneys have litigated complex premises liability cases in New York City and beyond. Our firm exclusively focuses on personal injury law. As a result, we have in-depth experience and knowledge of the law governing premises liability cases, and we leave nothing to chance.
We are honored to have a hand-selected team of some of the most accomplished and experienced personal injury litigators in New York City, including four former judges. In addition, a professional, compassionate, client-focused support staff supports our legal team. We are committed to providing you with the top-notch service you need and deserve. We also have established partnerships with world-renowned experts to consult on complex medical, economic, and liability issues.
Our firm enjoys a long track record of helping injured clients obtain record-setting six-, seven-, and eight-figure settlements and verdicts. Those recoveries have allowed our clients and their families to get back on track following devastating injuries. Finz & Finz, P.C., is committed to obtaining the maximum compensation you are entitled to – we never settle for less.
Compensation for Injuries on Dangerous Property
You may be entitled to compensation if you have suffered injuries due to dangerous conditions on someone’s property. Damages in premises liability cases fall into two categories – economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages provide compensation for specific monetary losses, such as:
- Loss of earning potential if your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job or any gainful employment.
- Lost wages if your injuries cause you to miss time from work.
- Medical costs include hospital bills, surgeries, prescription medication, therapy, rehabilitation, or mobility assistance equipment.
Non-economic damages compensate for more subjective losses arising from your injuries, including:
- Loss of consortium, which compensates your spouse for the loss of your intimate companionship and society.
- Lost quality of life, brought about by disabilities, physical disfigurements, inability to participate in activities you enjoyed before your accident, or failure to take care of tasks of daily living.
- Pain and suffering, or the physical and emotional anguish and distress brought about by your injuries.
In addition to damages arising from your injuries, you may also be entitled to compensation for the damage you incurred in your accident, such as torn clothing, broken glasses, a broken watch or cell phone, etc.
NY Statute of Limitations on Premises Liability Lawsuits
If you’ve been injured on someone else’s property through no fault, you have a limited time to file a lawsuit. This period is called the statute of limitations. Under New York law, the statute of limitations for premises liability lawsuits is three years from your accident and injury date. If you do not file a lawsuit in time, the court can permanently dismiss your lawsuit. Under certain circumstances, the statute of limitations can be extended or “tolled.” For example, a minor with a premises liability claim must file a lawsuit three years after their 18th birthday.
In addition to the statute of limitations, you must notify the government if your claim is against the state, a municipal government, or an agency. You have 90 days from your accident and injury to file a notice in the court of claims or relevant municipal court. Although the court may grant you leave to file a late notice if you demonstrate good cause, your case can be permanently barred if you do not file a notice promptly.
Common Places Where Dangerous Conditions Can Cause Accidents
Premises liability accidents frequently occur on properties where the public is invited to visit. Places where dangerous conditions may cause accidents to include:
- Apartment Buildings and Homes
- Convenience Stores
- Grocery Stores and Supermarkets
- Recreational and Amusement Parks
- Restaurants and Bars
- Retail Stores
- Shopping Malls
- Swimming Pools