Manhattan Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve recently been in a personal injury accident, you are likely facing one of the hardest experiences of your life. You may be struggling with pain and emotional distress. You may feel insecure about your career and your finances. You may have fears about the effects the accident will have on your family.
You don’t have to bear those burdens alone.
The personal injury attorneys of Finz & Finz, P.C., have nearly four decades of experience in personal injury cases. At Finz & Finz, P.C., we deliver time and time again.
We have the experience and resources to fight for you and win the most complex injury cases. Whether you were injured by one person or by multiple parties, we will fight to hold them responsible.
We are proud to serve the Manhattan and broader NYC community. We put our years of experience to work in personal injury lawsuits. We fight aggressively for every client, in any setting, including the courtroom. We have a reputation that judges respect and insurance companies fear
Why Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
The aftermath of a severe injury can be overwhelming. You are likely in pain, undergoing medical treatment, and could be out of work. You deserve compensation from the person who hurt you, and you deserve a seasoned legal advocate to help you pursue it. While you rest and recover, a Manhattan personal injury attorney with Finz & Finz, P.C. can take care of your case for you. We can:
- Investigate the incident, secure and preserve valuable evidence, and determine who could be liable for your injuries
- Work with experts to calculate the full range of your compensable losses, from your immediate expenses to the ones you are likely to encounter in the future
- File a lawsuit against the liable parties and handle all related paperwork
- Negotiate aggressively with the insurance company for a fair settlement that provides you the financial security you deserve
- Take your case to court for a trial before a jury of your peers, if the insurance company won’t compensate you fairly
Remember, investigating and building the foundation of winning a personal injury case takes a lot of time and effort, and crucial evidence can get lost, repaired, or destroyed. The sooner you get in touch with a personal injury attorney in Manhattan, the more they can do for you.
What Could I Be Compensated For?
If you were hurt by someone else, that person or company is responsible for compensating you for that harm. This compensation is meant to “make you whole” again – that is, to provide you with the money you need to undo the effects of your injuries. Depending on the circumstances of the accident and your resulting injuries, that could include money for:
- Lost income, including wages, commission, overtime, and benefits
- Medical care, from ambulance rides and emergency treatment to reconstructive surgery and prescription medications
- Pain and suffering, both the physical discomfort and mental anguish you experienced
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle or replacement of personal items
This list is not an exhaustive one. An experienced Manhattan injury attorney with Finz & Finz, P.C. can give you a better idea of what you could be owed after reviewing your case.
What If I Was Partially to Blame?
Many people worry they cannot seek compensation for an injury they were partially to blame for. However, New York follows a pure comparative negligence model, allowing injured people to recover compensation from other at-fault parties. In other words, if someone else contributed to your injuries, you could have a valid personal injury claim against them. The value of your claim will be diminished by your percentage at fault, but you still have an actionable claim.
Here’s a practical example. Driver A merges from Harlem River Drive into the right lane of the FDR Drive, which is already occupied by Driver B, who rear-ends Driver A. Driver A, who has only scrapes and bruises, failed to signal their merge. Driver B, who suffered broken bones and facial lacerations, was speeding. Both drivers are found to be at fault for the crash, so Driver B can still seek compensation for their injuries from Driver A. If the case went to trial, a jury would need to determine the percentage of fault between Driver A and Driver B, but the case would not be dismissed simply because Driver B may have been partially at fault.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Another concern many injured New Yorkers have is that the cost of hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer to pursue their claim would be prohibitively expensive. Medical care, property repairs, and lost wages can really add up, and they worry that a high-powered attorney will only add to these costs. However, this is a misplaced fear.
Most Manhattan personal injury attorneys, including those at Finz & Finz, P.C., work on a contingency model. This payment structure means they do not charge you any fees to take your case. Instead, they will get paid an agreed-upon percentage of whatever compensation they recover for you through a settlement or verdict. If they lose, they don’t get paid. Different attorneys follow different pricing models, though, so you should be sure to ask for a detailed explanation of their billing practices before hiring an attorney.
The contingency model provides many advantages, including the following:
- Incentivizing the attorney to secure as much compensation for their client as possible
- Little financial risk to the client, risk which is instead carried by the attorney
- No upfront costs to the client, so lack of funds is not a barrier to pursuing justice
What to Expect When Working with a Personal Injury Attorney in Manhattan
Here’s what you can expect when you visit the Manhattan offices of Finz & Finz, P.C. after an accident:
- We will start by sitting down with you to listen to your story and determine the general facts of the case. Bring any evidence you might have, such as medical records, photos of the accident scene, and anything else you think could be relevant. This will give us a better idea of what happened and who could be to blame for your injuries. This initial meeting can also be done by phone or video conference, if that is your preference.
- After hearing your story and reviewing your records, we will tell you if you might have grounds to pursue a personal injury claim. We will also explain our fee structure so you know what to expect when the case concludes. If you decide to work with our Manhattan personal injury firm, we will conduct an independent investigation of the incident and collect additional evidence to strengthen your claim.
- If you are out of work because of your injuries, we will also gather your employment and income records to establish the extent of your lost income.
- Insurance companies control the purse strings in most personal injury cases, and you will probably have to give a statement to the relevant insurer at some point. Claims adjusters are trained to find ways to deny claims and minimize payouts, and they can and will twist your words or take them out of context if it can help them save their employer money. We will handle all communications with the insurer and help you prepare for any statements you have to give.
Remember, the vast majority of personal injury cases settle out of court. Still, we know better than to rely on insurers to do the right thing or make a fair offer, which is why we always prepare for trial. We won’t hesitate to go to court if it’s in your best interest to do so.
Contact Finz & Finz, P.C. Today for Help with Your Manhattan Injury Case
Ready to speak with an experienced Manhattan personal injury attorney at no cost or obligation to you? Then contact Finz & Finz, P.C. today. We look forward to hearing your story and determining how we can help.