How Can a New York Car Accident Lawyer Help with Your Case?
You’ve been injured in a car wreck in New York through no fault of your own. You may wonder whether you need an auto accident attorney to help you obtain compensation for your injuries and other damages.
Having an experienced car accident lawyer in your corner gives you the best chance at maximizing the compensation you receive in a car accident claim.
A knowledgeable and experienced New York car accident lawyer can take these steps to strengthen your case:
- Evaluating your case and answering questions – An attorney can help you to understand your legal rights and options. A lawyer can determine whether you have a viable claim for compensation. A lawyer can also explain what kind of compensation you might be entitled to, and the process for pursuing a recovery.
- Identifying all responsible parties – An attorney can identify all at-fault parties. That may include parties other than the driver who was at fault for the accident. For instance, the lawyer may hold liable the employer of the at-fault driver who happened to be “on the clock” at the time of the accident.
- Investigating your accident – An attorney will thoroughly investigate your accident. The attorney can acquire all available evidence, including police accident reports, surveillance videos, vehicle accident/repair reports, and photos and videos from the accident.
- Documenting your injuries and losses – Your attorney will ensure that you keep records of your economic losses and other damages. That allows you to establish the amount of compensation that you deserve.
- Coordinating with experts to maximize your claim – A car accident attorney will use accident reconstruction experts and medical, financial, and vocational experts to help develop the testimony necessary to bolster your claim. The accident reconstruction expert testimony will include findings of who was responsible for your accident. The medical report will detail the injuries and damages that you suffered in the accident. The financial and vocational experts will work together to show how your future earnings may be negatively impacted due to the injuries you suffered in the accident.
- Negotiating for settlement and preparing for trial – An experienced car accident attorney will have the experience to know what your case is worth. The attorney will know the tricks and tactics that insurance companies and defense law firms use as they try to pay less than the compensation you are entitled to. Although an attorney will try to obtain a fair and full settlement as soon as possible, your attorney will also be prepared and ready to take your case to trial.
Why Choose a Car Accident Lawyer at Finz & Finz, P.C.?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident in New York, you need an experienced, dedicated law firm. You need New York car accident attorneys who will fight on your behalf. You need lawyers who can get you the compensation and justice that you need and deserve.
The New York car accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C., have more than 35 years of legal experience. Our NY auto accident attorneys have helped injured car accident victims obtain the financial recovery that they need. The money they receive helps pay for medical treatments, cover lost wages and income, and their pain and suffering.
You can rely on the New York automobile accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C.:
- We have a hand-picked team of accomplished personal injury litigators, including four former judges, with decades of legal expertise.
- We have a compassionate and seasoned support staff committed to helping our attorneys provide top-notch service to our clients.
- We work with industry-leading experts to consult on complex liability (including accident reconstruction), medical, financial and vocational issues in the cases we handle.
Our car accident attorneys focus exclusively on personal injury law and helping injured victims. We are proud of our long track record of obtaining seven-figure settlements and verdicts for our clients. When our New York car accident lawyers are in your corner, you will have a firm with the significant resources you need. We will aggressively pursue the compensation you need. We are committed to getting you the maximum compensation you deserve, and we will never pressure you to settle your case for anything less. We will work tirelessly to ensure you get the justice that you deserve.
What Compensation Can I Get After a Car Wreck in New York?
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in New York, you may be entitled to compensation for the various damages that you may have incurred as a result of your injuries. Compensation for a car accident falls into two categories – economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include compensation for:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, surgeries, physical therapy, prescription medication, and mobility equipment
- Lost wages, for time that you miss from work while recovering from your injuries
- Lost earning capacity or potential, if your injuries prevent you from returning to your old job
Non-economic damages provide compensation for non-financial losses such as:
- Pain and suffering, or the emotional and physical anguish and distress that is caused by your injuries
- Lost quality of life, from things like disabilities or physical disfigurement, or from the inability to participate in activities you previously enjoyed before your accident
- Loss of consortium, which compensates your spouse for the loss of your companionship
In addition, you may be entitled to compensation for property damage you suffered in the accident, including the cost to repair your damaged vehicle or the cash value of your vehicle if it is totaled.
What is the Statute of Limitations on Car Accident Cases in New York?
If you’ve been involved in a car accident in New York and wish to seek compensation for your injuries and other damages, you have a limited period of time in which to file a lawsuit. This time limit is known as the statute of limitations.
In New York, the statute of limitations for car accident injury cases is three years from the date of the accident. If you do not file your lawsuit before the time expires, the court can permanently dismiss your claim.
In a few instances, the statute of limitations can be extended. For example, a minor who is injured in a car accident has three years from his or her 18th birthday to file a lawsuit. Or the court may choose to pause, or “toll,” the statute of limitations if you are unable to file your lawsuit. For instance, in a hit-and-run accident, the deadline may be tolled if you could not discover the identity of the other driver during the statute of limitations.
If you wish to bring a car accident claim against the state of New York or a municipality, you must file a notice of tort claim within 90 days of the date of your accident. Otherwise, the court can dismiss your claim. You can petition the court to file a notice after 90 days, but you must have good cause to explain your delay.
What are the Common Causes of Car Accidents in New York?
A car crash can happen for a number of reasons. Often accidents are caused by the negligence of motorists on the road. They may also be caused by defects in the vehicles or in the road itself.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., the causes of the traffic collisions we handle include, for example:
- Careless or reckless driving
- Cell phones/texting
- Distracted driving
- Driving on roads the wrong way
- Driving under the influence
- Failure to stop at stop signs/red lights
- Inadequate or poor road designs
- Poor road conditions (such as those caused by potholes or broken pavement, standing water, snow and ice, or slick road surfaces)
- Tailgating (following too closely to the vehicle in front)
What Are the Most Common Injuries After a Car Accident?
Injuries suffered in a car crash can be as varied as the circumstances of each individual accident. Some injuries are minor and resolve themselves within a matter of days. Other injuries are serious and life-threatening. They may last for weeks, months or even years. Some car accident victims never fully recover from their injuries.
Injuries commonly suffered in car accidents include:
- Arm and leg injuries, including ligament sprains and tears, and bone fractures. In more severe accidents, these injuries may lead to amputations.
- Contusions (bruises) and lacerations (cuts), which arise from slamming around the cabin during an impact. Contusions may also be caused by the deployment of airbags. These injuries can be minor and resolve themselves in a few days. They can also be serious, resulting in dangerous blood loss at the scene of an accident.
- Head injuries, including lacerations, skull fractures, or traumatic brain injuries like concussions or coma.
- Internal organ injuries, often inflicted by seat belts or by impacts with the steering wheel or dashboard.
- Neck and back injuries, including whiplash injuries, fractured vertebrae, or spinal cord injuries or tears.
- Soft tissue injuries, including sprains, strains, and tears of tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- Wrongful death.