Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in New York City
New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Injuries to the spinal cord can happen in the blink of an eye, but the complications may last a lifetime. Long-term consequences include paralysis and a dramatically reduced quality of life.
Spinal cord injuries are often caused by poorly maintained worksites, medical malpractice, automobile accidents, and other types of negligence.
Have you recently sustained a spinal cord injury, and you believe someone else was at fault? You may be entitled to financial compensation to cover your pain and suffering, medical care and more.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., our legal team is nationally known for securing record-setting verdicts and settlements for victims of negligence. We have:
- A team of highly accomplished litigators – including four former judges – to uphold your rights
- Proven legal strategies that have allowed us to recover over $1 billion for our clients over the years
- Strong Relationships with some of the world’s top medical experts to consult on issues of liability
- Caring and experienced support staff who are available to address your questions and concerns
- A strong reputation for attorney-client relationships built on trust and integrity
Some of our recent spinal cord injury victories include a $24.5 million record settlement for a spinal cord injury victim who was hurt by the careless operation of a tractor-trailer and $9 million verdict for a spinal cord injury victim who fell down a flight of stairs.
Schedule a free consultation with our New York City spinal cord injury lawyer by calling us or contacting us online now. We serve NYC and surrounding areas, including Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Nassau County, Long Island, Mineola, and more
When Can You File a Personal Injury Claim After a Spinal Cord Injury?
In order to file a lawsuit, you must suspect that your spinal cord injury was caused by negligence.
For instance, if you were walking past a construction site that was poorly maintained, causing you to trip and fall, this would possibly constitute negligence. In this case, a lawsuit could be filed against the construction site owner.
Lawsuits for spinal cord injuries often involve the following:
- Accidents in the workplace
- ATVs and other recreational vehicle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Car and semi-truck accidents
- Cruise ship accidents
The deadline to file a claim depends on the type of lawsuit. If you’re filing a medical malpractice claim, it must be filed within 30 months from the date of injury. Products liability and general personal injury cases must be filed within three years from the date of injury.
How Our NYC Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys Can Help
Choosing a back injury attorney in New York City isn’t a decision that should be made lightly. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you find all responsible parties, and maximize the potential compensation that you can recover. That’s our commitment to you.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., our legal team will:
- Evaluate your case for free.
- Consult with world-renowned experts to help build the strongest case possible.
- Fully investigate how your injury occurred, so we can go after all responsible parties.
- Work toward securing the highest compensation so you can focus on what’s most important: your road to recovery.
Compensation in a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit
New York allows victims to be compensated for both economic and non-economic losses to make you “whole” again in the eyes of the law.
If awarded compensation for your back injury lawsuit, it may cover:
- Cost of any medical care related to your injury
- Corrective surgeries
- Hospital bills and ambulance fees
- Lost wages, including loss of future wages, if you can’t return to work
- Pain and suffering, and other emotional distress
- Rehabilitation and vocational therapy
- Wheelchairs, walkers, and other assistive medical devices
Statute of Limitations on Spinal Cord Injury Cases
The deadline for filing a spinal cord injury lawsuit in New York can vary, depending on the cause of your injury. In New York, you have:
- Three years to file a lawsuit for personal injuries, such as in a car or truck accident case
- 30 months to file a lawsuit for medical malpractice
Once the statute of limitations passes in New York, you cannot file a lawsuit. This is why it’s important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Symptoms of a Spinal Cord Injury
Some of the most common signs and symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty controlling bowel or bladder function
- Loss of muscle coordination
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Pain or pressure along your spine
- Paralysis on any part of your body
Treatment for Spinal Cord Injuries
Treatment for a spinal cord injury depends on the type and severity of the injury. Some injuries require corrective surgery, while others require a lifetime of ongoing care.
Common treatments include:
- Corrective surgery to remove bone fragments or foreign objects, or to treat herniated discs and stabilize the spine
- Immobilization to help stabilize the spine and encourage proper alignment
- Medication to reduce inflammation and swelling
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
Types of Spinal Cord Injuries
There are various types of spinal cord injuries, and they are usually grouped into two categories:
- Complete Spinal Cord Injury – A complete spinal cord injury is when the entire area below the point of injury loses function. Complete spinal cord injuries may result in paraplegia, tetraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Incomplete Spinal Cord Injury – With an incomplete spinal cord injury, there is only partial damage to the spinal cord, so some function still exists below the point of injury.
Injuries on certain parts of the spinal cord can also affect different areas of the body:
- Cervical Spinal Cord Injuries – The head and neck are affected by these injuries.
- Lumbar Spinal Cord Injuries – Injuries in this area affect the hips, legs, and back.
- Thoracic Spinal Cord Injuries – These injuries affect the chest, back, and abdomen.
- Sacral Spinal Cord Injuries – Injuries in this area affect the hips, thighs, buttocks, and pelvic organs.
Talk to a New York City Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Now
In the aftermath of a back injury, you may be facing a long road to recovery or even a lifetime of paralysis. If your injury was caused by negligence, you have a right to hold all responsible parties accountable and demand compensation for your injuries.