New York Boat Accident Attorneys
Have You or a Loved one Been Severely Injured Due to a New York Boating Accident?
Our experienced New York Boating Accident Lawyers can help you recover payment for your personal injury expenses. Water accidents have become a common occurrence with the increased use of commercial vessels as well as recreational boats.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a negligent boat driver, you may have rights to receive compensation! Contact our New York Boating Accident Lawyer today for more information regarding your right to compensation for different types of boating accidents!
Water Accidents are Common
According to the United States Coast Guard, there were a total of 11,867,049 registered recreational boats across the U.S. in 2015 which accounted for 4,158 reported boating accidents resulting in 626 fatalities, 2,613 injuries, and almost $42 million in property damage.
What Causes Boat and Water Accidents?
Often, negligence and improper handling of boating equipment by the operator is the common cause of boating accidents and can be prevented using reasonable judgment during operation of a water vessel. Approximately 70% of all fatal boating accident victims drown – 87% of which are found not wearing a life jacket.
Overall, carelessness and reckless operation, operator inattention, excessive speed and operator inexperience are leading contributors to serious boating accidents. Collisions with other vessels are the most reported type of accidents, though capsizing and falling overboard are reportedly the most common types of fatal accidents.
Other common causes and factors of boating accidents may include:
- operating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- operating in inclement weather condition
- lack of experience
- accidents during water activities
- onboard explosion or fires
- electrocution due to lightning or striking a power line
How to Prevent Boating Accidents
While operating a recreational water vessel, precautions can be taken to prevent boat accidents or minimize the damage if a boat accident occurs. Here are some safety tips:
- Always wear life jackets and dress for possible water immersion.
- Be aware of weather conditions. Cold weather is more dangerous: lower water temperatures and fewer boaters or water patrols are available to rescue if in distress.
- Do not drink alcohol while on the water as it can severely impair judgment and cause serious accidents that may result in harm, damage, and even fatality.
- Take advantage of available distress-alerting and position-indicating technologies. In the event of an emergency, such equipment can help rescuers locate water vessels in distress.
- Always inform a guard or family member what time you intend to return from a boating or water trip.
What to do if a Boating Accident Occurs
If a boating accident occurs, the operator of the boat should file an accident report with the proper authorities if any of the following had occurred:
- A person is severely injured and requires medical attention beyond first aid or a life is lost due to the boat accident
- Property damage that totals more than $500
- The accident causes complete damage to the water vessel
- A person has disappeared from the vessel with potential circumstances of death or severe injury
.Get Legal Help – New York Boating Accident Lawyers – (855) TOP-FIRM
While state laws may vary, it is important to report boat accidents in a timely manner. Death, disappearance, or injury reports should be filed as soon as possible and no later than within 48 hours. Damage reports should be filed within 10 days.
Contact Our Boating Accident Lawyers in New York for Help
Have you or a family member suffered a severe injury as a result of a New York boating incident? Our New York Boating Accident Lawyer can help! Contact Finz & Finz, P.C., to speak to our experienced New York Boat Accident Lawyers now at (855) TOP-FIRM or fill out the Free Case Evaluation form at the right of this page.