Fatal Truck Accident Attorney in New York City
If you have recently lost a loved one to a truck accident, you are likely working to pick up the pieces and learn how to move on without their guidance, support, and financial contributions to your family. This process might be particularly difficult if someone else is to blame for your loss. You and your family deserve compensation to relieve the financial burden of your loved one’s passing. But your grief might make it challenging to handle the many confusing details of the legal process. Instead, speak with a fatal truck accident lawyer from Finz & Finz, P.C. help., who can help you and your family navigate the legal landscape and the road ahead.
For three generations, our family-run law firm has worked hard to protect the rights and interests of accident victims throughout New York. In that time, we have recovered more than $1 billion on their behalf – including a record-setting $24.5 million truck accident settlement. We will put our skills, tenacity, and commitment to work for you and your family so that you can have some peace of mind during this difficult time.
Contact Finz & Finz, P.C. today to speak with an experienced fatal truck accident attorney in New York City. Consultations are free, and we will only charge a fee if we secure compensation on your behalf.
Fatal Truck Accident Statistics in New York
Sadly, fatal truck accidents are an all-too-common occurrence, both nationally and here in New York. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), nearly 5,000 people were killed in commercial truck accidents nationwide in one recent year – with occupants of other vehicles making up approximately 71 percent of deaths. Another 13 percent were other road users, such as pedestrians and bicyclists. Truck occupants accounted for just 17 percent of truck accident fatalities.
In New York, 116 large commercial trucks were involved in fatal traffic accidents in the latest year of the NHTSA study – accounting for 8.1 percent of all vehicles involved in deadly crashes statewide. Fatal large truck accidents in New York accounted for about 2.4 percent of all such accidents in the U.S.
Types of Fatal Truck Accidents
The size and weight of a commercial truck can cause fatal injuries in a crash. Some of the most common types of deadly truck accidents include:
- Cargo accidents, which may involve either spilling cargo or a truck driver losing control of their vehicle due to an excessive, unbalanced, or shifting cargo load
- Head-on collisions, which occur when a truck drifts over the center line or median or goes the wrong way on a one-way street
- Jackknife accidents, which happen when a truck trailer swings forward toward the truck cab, causing the cab and trailer to fold together like a pocket knife
- Rear-end collisions, especially those on the highway or interstate
- Road departure accidents, which occur when a truck runs off the road, often due to a brake failure or because the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel
- Rollover accidents, which involve a truck flipping onto its side or roof
- Side-impact or T-bone collisions, especially at intersections when a truck driver runs a red light
- Sideswipe collisions, which involve an impact between the sides of a truck and another vehicle
- Underride accidents, which involve a vehicle getting wedged underneath the side or rear overhang of a truck trailer