Mineola Car Accident Lawyer
Did a car accident in Mineola, NY, leave you with expensive medical bills, serious injuries, and lost income as a result of time missed at work? If so, you need a top-tier team of legal professionals who know what it takes to recover maximum compensation from the at-fault parties. You need the Mineola car accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C.
Our lawyers know the devastating toll car accidents can take on victims and their families. We’re here to obtain justice and accountability on your behalf. Success at the negotiating table or in the courtroom doesn’t just happen – it’s a product of hard work, diligence, and experience. That’s what we offer to every client who comes through our doors. It’s what we’ll bring to your case, too.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
While there are many different causes of car accidents, many collisions result from:
- Aggressive Driving – Tailgating, speeding, failure to yield, and improper lane changes are actions that disregard the safety of others and can cause devastating collisions.
- Distracted Driving – Texting, eating, using navigation devices, or other activities that take a driver’s attention away from the road make it harder for them to react to changing traffic conditions in Mineola.
- Driving Under the Influence – Alcohol and/or drugs impair a driver’s ability to operate their vehicle safely.
- Fatigue – Drowsy driving can lead to slower reaction times and decreased awareness in much the same way as drugs and alcohol.
- Inexperience – A new or teen driver’s lack of experience can lead to errors in judgment and risky behavior.
- Poor Weather – Rain, snow, fog, and ice make roads hazardous and increase the risk of accidents. Bad weather is not a valid excuse for a crash. All drivers should adjust their behavior to account for poor road conditions.
- Running Red Lights and Stop Signs – Ignoring traffic signs and signals is a major cause of intersection collisions in New York.
Common Injuries Sustained in Car Crashes
The most common car accident injuries in Mineola include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Cuts and lacerations
New Yorkers can also suffer severe emotional trauma after an accident. Depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are debilitating mental health injuries that can haunt individuals for years after the crash.
What to Do After an Auto Accident
Wondering what to do after a car accident to improve your chance of recovering maximum compensation? Here are some crucial steps to take to protect your rights:
- Call 911 – You need law enforcement and paramedics immediately on the scene.
- Seek Medical Treatment – Your health always comes first. See your doctor right away to treat apparent injuries and identify any others.
- Gather Evidence – Take photos of the accident scene, vehicle damage, and your injuries. Identify witnesses to the crash and request their contact information.
- Continue Your Medical Treatment – Follow your doctor’s advice and complete all recommended treatments. This is crucial for your health, documents the extent of your injuries, and shows you are doing your best to mitigate the damage.
- Document Everything – Keep track of all your medical bills, repair estimates, pay stubs showing lost wages, and other documentation of accident-related expenses. It’s also wise to write down your memory of the accident and how it has affected your daily life.
- Stay Off Social Media – Do not discuss the accident or your injuries on social media. Insurance adjusters may use anything you say or do against you.
- Consult an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer – The award-winning personal injury lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C. will act quickly to investigate the accident, preserve evidence, and develop an effective legal strategy in pursuit of maximum compensation for you.
Compensation Available in New York Car Accident Cases
New York operates under a “no-fault” insurance system. Drivers involved in car accidents must turn to their own insurance company first for compensation, regardless of who caused the crash. This system aims to quickly provide financial relief for medical bills and lost wages without burdening the courts.
However, accident victims with serious injuries may step outside the no-fault system and seek additional compensation by pursuing a liability claim or personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Car accident compensation in these cases can include money for:
- Medical Bills – This includes costs for emergency treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, physical therapy, and any future medical care you may need.
- Lost Wages – If your injuries prevent you from working, you can seek compensation for lost income and diminished long-term earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering – This term refers to compensation for the physical discomfort and emotional distress you’ve experienced due to the accident.
- Property Damage – You can recover compensation for repairs to your vehicle and the cost to repair or replace any other property damaged in the accident.
Statute of Limitations on NY Car Accident Claims
The usual statute of limitations for NY personal injury claims is three years from the date of injury. This means you have three years from the date of the crash to file a lawsuit against any at-fault parties. However, exceptions to this rule might limit your time to take legal action. For example, if a government vehicle hit you, the time limit to file a claim can be significantly shorter, often just 90 days. These deadlines make it crucial to contact a knowledgeable lawyer as soon as possible after a car accident.
Talk to an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Mineola, NY Today
In the wake of a car accident in Mineola, the experienced car accident lawyers at Finz & Finz, P.C. can help. We aim to simplify the legal process for you and recover full and fair compensation for your losses. That is our never-ending commitment to you.
Let us shoulder your legal burdens so you can focus on healing from your car accident injuries. Contact us online or by phone for a free consultation with a car accident attorney in Mineola.