Queens Premises Liability Lawyer
Have you been injured on someone else’s property in Queens? Property owners in New York must keep their premises reasonably safe for visitors. If a property owner’s negligence injured you, you could be entitled to compensation for your losses.
At Finz & Finz, P.C., our premises liability lawyers provide aggressive and empathetic representation to injury victims in Queens and throughout New York. We will help you hold negligent parties accountable and demand the financial recovery you deserve. To learn more about your legal options, contact us now for your free case review.
Queens Premises Liability Accidents and Where They Happen
An unexpected injury can occur anywhere and at any time. However, premises liability accidents tend to happen frequently in specific locations — especially areas that are open to the public. Some of the most common places where premises liability accidents occur in Queens include the following:
- Amusement and theme parks
- Apartments, condos, and homes
- Grocery stores and other retail shops
- Gyms, studios, and fitness centers
- Hotels and convention centers
- Parking lots, garages, and sidewalks
- Restaurants, bars, and theaters
- Shopping malls and department stores
- Staircases, escalators, and elevators
- Swimming pools and playgrounds
- Train, bus, and subway stations
When the owners of these properties fail to properly monitor, maintain, or repair their premises or do not warn visitors of known hazards, people can get hurt. Here are some of the most common types of premises liability accidents:
- Building code violation incidents
- Defective staircase accidents
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Drowning and suffocation
- Fires and explosions
- Escalator and elevator accidents
- Negligent security incidents
- Poor lighting or ventilation incidents
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Structural collapse incidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Toxic exposure incidents
- Unattended spills or obstructions
Proving Fault in a Queens Premises Liability Lawsuit
If you were injured on someone else’s property in Queens, NY, you must be able to prove the following to have a successful premises liability claim:
- You were lawfully visiting the property when your injury occurred.
- The property owner or manager was negligent and failed to inspect, address, or warn you of an unsafe condition.
- The property owner knew or should have known about the condition.
- The property owner’s negligence directly contributed to your injuries.
Under the premises liability statute, New York property owners generally have no responsibility to those who trespass on their land. If you are injured while trespassing, a property owner usually won’t be responsible — even if you can prove they were aware of a dangerous condition on the premises. However, there are a few exceptions. A knowledgeable New York premises liability lawyer can review your case, secure the evidence needed, and help prove the at-fault party’s responsibility in court.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt on Someone Else’s Property in Queens, NY
You can take the following steps to protect your rights and lay a strong foundation for your claim after a New York premises liability accident:
- Seek prompt medical attention and follow your doctor’s care plan.
- Notify the property owner and request a copy of their incident report.
- Gather evidence, such as photos or video footage of the property and the dangerous condition
- Hang on to medical bills, bank records, and other relevant documents.
- Start a “pain journal” to record how your injuries impact your daily life.
- Watch what you say to others and what you post online while your claim is pending.
- Contact a premises liability lawyer in Queens as soon as possible.
Time Limit to File a Queens Premises Liability Claim
New York law generally gives you just three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. However, in a premises liability case involving a municipality, such as a New York City owned building, park or other public property, you only have ninety (90) days from the date of the incident to file a claim.
This deadline is essential. If you do not file a claim within the prescribed time limitations, the court will dismiss your case and you will be forever barred from a financial recovery. The attorneys of Finz & Finz, P.C. can help you keep your case on track by identifying important deadlines and handling every aspect of your claim.
How a Queens Premises Liability Lawyer Will Help
The Queens premises liability lawyers of Finz & Finz, P.C. are familiar with the stress and upheaval caused by premises liability injuries. We know results matter, which is why our team works tirelessly to secure outstanding outcomes for those we represent. Here are just a few examples of our premises’ liability success stories:
- A record-setting $8 million settlement with the State of New York for a recreational tube slide accident that left our client with brain damage
- A $6 million settlement with a New York landlord for a client whose child suffered brain damage from toxic exposure to lead in the family’s apartment
- A $5 million settlement with New York City for a family whose child sustained a fracture while playing at a city park
- A $4.7 million settlement with a big box store for a client who suffered a serious injury and chronic pain due to a package that fell from a shelf and struck him
If you have been injured on someone else’s property in Queens, our firm can help you demand fair compensation for your losses by:
- Evaluating your case and reviewing your options in a free initial consultation
- Estimating the value of your injury claim and determining who may be at fault
- Conducting an independent investigation to identify and secure critical evidence
- Communicating with property owners, insurers, and other parties on your behalf
- Working with eyewitnesses and industry-leading experts to obtain valuable testimony
- Managing essential case documents, details, and deadlines on your behalf
- Negotiating aggressively every step of the way to maximize your settlement
Our initial consultations are always free and available at no obligation to you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain when you reach out to us to discuss your situation. Contact Finz & Finz, P.C. by phone or online to speak with us today.