What to Do After a Truck Accident on Long Island
A collision with an 18-wheeler can be devastating, and the days, weeks, and months after the accident can be overwhelming for victims and their families. However, taking the following steps can help you protect your legal rights and obtain compensation:
- Call 911. For your health and safety, contact emergency services immediately. Law enforcement can assess the situation, provide emergency medical assistance, and make an official report about the accident. This official report will provide important information about the incident, including an initial assessment of the cause of the accident and the parties involved.
- Seek medical attention. Truck accidents often cause severe injuries. If you aren’t transported to a hospital in an ambulance, seek medical treatment right away. You may suffer injuries that are difficult to notice at first, such as whiplash or internal bleeding that requires immediate care. It’s also essential to have your condition diagnosed for any future insurance claim.
- Document what you can. Take photos of the accident scene if you are physically able to. Record as much as you can, including witness names and contact information. Photograph every vehicle involved, any street signs or signals, and any other evidence related to the crash.
- Contact an attorney. The trucking company may throw the full force of their legal team against you after an accident. Their goal is to protect their profits, and they’ll do so at your expense. Anything you say or do can be used against you. Get help from a lawyer as soon as possible to handle all communication related to the crash. Moreover, the attorneys at Finz & Finz, P.C. have the power and resources to obtain and preserve videos, witness statements, road debris, black box data, safety inspections, and other valuable data before it’s lost or destroyed.
- Report the accident to the DMV. In New York, accidents that result in more than $1,001 in property damage must be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If you didn’t call the police from the scene, you can file a Motor Vehicle Accident Report.
- Follow medical advice. Follow your doctor’s treatment plan. Adhering to the doctor’s orders will not only help you heal faster, but it will also document your progress and strengthen your case when your attorney is negotiating a settlement.
- Keep notes about your recovery and how your injuries affect your life. Document your pain and recovery process in a journal. A journal can strengthen your claim by showing how your injuries impact your daily life.
- Don’t post on social media. The trucking company and their legal team will search for your social media accounts and use your words against you. Don’t talk about your accident online or post information about it on social media platforms.
Keep your bills. Hang on to all documents related to your crash. This includes medical bills, repair receipts, and any other paperwork related to out-of-pocket expenses. These documents can help establish the value of your claim.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents on Long Island
While various circumstances can lead to a collision, truck driver negligence is a significant factor in most truck crashes. Some of the most common causes of large truck crashes include:
- Mechanical defects
- Improper training
- Poor weather conditions
- Unsafe lane changes
Regardless of the cause of the crash, you should consult with a Long Island accident attorney about your legal options. If someone else caused you injury, you have the right to pursue compensation from the responsible party.
Common Types of Truck Accident Injuries
Collisions with large trucks often cause traumatic and even catastrophic injuries. Data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that occupants of other vehicles account for 72 percent of fatalities in large truck accidents. In other words, truck crashes are nearly twice as dangerous for occupants of passenger vehicles as they are for truck drivers.
Injuries related to large truck collisions may include, for example: