New York Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer, Carbon Monoxide Image

New York Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Lawyer

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas with that is highly toxic. CO is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If appliances are not working properly a dangerous carbon monoxide leak can result. Since it lacks any normally detectable signs, its deadly nature is often augmented by its lack of detection before it is too late. The EPA has even stated that "[y]ou can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes." And, hundreds of people die each year from gas leaks caused by malfunctioning appliances. If you or a family member has suffered injury or illness due to carbon monoxide poisoning, contact our carbon monoxide poisioning lawyers to learn more about your rights to compensation for your pain and suffering.

Exposure to Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly

Has carbon monoxide exposure taken the life of your loved one? Our lawyers can assist you in recovering compensation for your loss. Carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental deaths in the United States, claiming thousands of lives every year. Since it lacks a distinguishing odor, taste, and color, Carbon Monoxide is often known as the "Silent Killer" because it remains hard to detect. At high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. That is why it is important to know what are the carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisons the body by entering the lungs by normal breathing and displaces the oxygen in the bloodstream. This interruption of oxygen supply can cause serious harm to the heart, brain, and other vital organs of the body.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning symptoms include:

  • headache,
  • nausea,
  • shortness of breath,
  • fatigue,
  • abdominal pain,
  • vomiting,
  • hallucinations,
  • drowsiness,
  • seizure, and
  • chest pain.
  • mental confusion and impaired judgment may also develop.

These carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms of low-level to moderate exposure are often mistaken for the flu because the deadly gas can remain undetected in the home.

Prolonged exposure to Carbon Monoxide in New York can result in long term health problems, injury, brain damage and even death.

People suffering from heart or respiratory health problems, infants and small children, unborn children, and expectant mothers can be more susceptible to carbon monoxide levels from gas leaks. Contact experienced injury lawyers today at Finz & Finz, P.C. if you believe you have been the victim of a gas leak and have experienced any of the carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is produced whenever a fuel such as wood, gas, or oil is burned. Usually, the appliances that burn such fuel sources do not produce hazardous levels of carbon monoxide. However, if the fuel burning apparatus being used is not working properly and leaks, dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can result. If exposed to these dangerous levels of gas, seek medical assistance and then consider contacting our attorneys.

The most common sources of Carbon Monoxide are motor vehicle exhaust, smoke from fires, engine fumes, and non-electric heaters. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is also often associated with malfunctioning or obstructed exhaust systems and with suicide attempts.

Additional sources of carbon monoxide include:

  • Gas water heaters
  • Space heaters
  • Cooking grills
  • Propane stoves
  • Cigarette smoke
  • Gas-powered concrete saws
  • Spray paint, solvents, degreasers, and paint removers

Legal Help for Victims of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you or a family member have suffered an illness, injury or disease from carbon monoxide poisoning, contact Finz & Finz, P.C. at (855) TOP-FIRM to speak with our experienced New York Injury Attorneys now or fill out the Free Case Evaluation form.

Related News for Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide Risks at Swimming Pools

April 11, 2017 | Finz & Finz, P.C.

A terrible tragedy in Michigan claimed the life of one child and left 13 more unconscious and in critical condition.  Employees of Quality Inn in Niles, Michigan made the terrible discovery on April 1st at the indoor swimming pool at the hotel. Initial indications are that a chemical reaction caused the chlorine in the pool to be converted to carbon monoxide, which is extremely dangerous to humans.  This type of reaction is possible in all pool environments, but is much more likely in indoor pools.   

Continue Reading: Carbon Monoxide Risks at Swimming Pools

Ready For the Snow? Staying Warm and Staying Safe!

January 22, 2016 | Finz & Finz, P.C.

The country saw an extremely warm autumn with record breaking temperatures in the north east. New York City residents were basking in 70 degree weather just a few weeks from Christmas. With home heating bills a constant concern for so many people, it was a relief not to have to crank up the thermostat. Cold temperatures and a snow storm are about to hit the New York metropolitan area, which means many home owners had to turn up the heat for the first time in months. Whether you use oil or gas heat, it is important to take precautions to eliminate the risk of damage to your property, or injury and illness to your family.

Continue Reading: Ready For the Snow? Staying Warm and Staying Safe!

Carbon Monoxide: Odorless and Almost Deadly

November 18, 2014 | Finz & Finz, P.C.

Never jump to conclusions.  We tell ourselves this daily, and yet all too often we still jump to conclusions.  Thankfully a woman in Greeley, Colorado didn’t just jump to conclusions and asked the proper questions before an unimaginable tragedy occurred. Twelve people were sickened and one child was hospitalized, but it could have been much worse after a malfunctioning boiler pumped carbon monoxide into a YMCA.  The gas had built up to deadly levels before the woman, noticing she was becoming ill and weak, convinced her husband to evacuate the building.

Continue Reading: Carbon Monoxide: Odorless and Almost Deadly

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Malls and Public Places

March 06, 2014 | Finz & Finz, P.C.

A story in recent news reported a carbon monoxide leak at a mall that left the manager of one business dead, and several others on the way to the hospital.  Emergency crews even reported feeling dizzy and nauseated as they responded to the scene.  The manager was found in the heater room, downstairs from where the restaurant was located—presumably trying to determine the cause that was making so many people ill.  Carbon monoxide detectors are not mandatory in all businesses in all states. How do you know that your favorite store or restaurant is taking the necessary precautions to ensure your safety when you are there?

Continue Reading: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Malls and Public Places

Carbon Monoxide: What You Can Do To Protect Your Family

November 18, 2013 | Finz & Finz, P.C.

The fall season is often a reminder for many families to check their smoke detectors, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. With extra company in the house and festive activities taking place in the home, you’ll want your haven to be safe for the holidays by preparing for (and preventing) emergencies before one happens.   Carbon monoxide detectors are no exception to an important tool that should be used in your home.

Continue Reading: Carbon Monoxide: What You Can Do To Protect Your Family

Recognized Leadership