ALBANY, NY – Hospitals sent more than 4,300 recovering coronavirus patients to New York nursing homes following a much-criticized March 25 directive from the governor’s office, according to an AP report released today.
The order in question forced the state’s elder-care facilities to accept residents who had tested positive for coronavirus, and was immediately controversial for the way it put the population most vulnerable to the disease—namely the elderly—at increased risk of infection. The policy eventually had to be scrapped as cases continued to spread, but as the AP story notes, it was not curtailed soon enough to prevent significant misery.
The AP ran its own calculations to determine the number of people discharged from hospitals to long-term care facilities after New York’s Health Depatrment failed to provide it with an internal survey conducted two weeks ago. The department said it was still attempting to verify its report.
Needless to say, many family members are upset with the decision and the state government’s continued stonewalling.
“It was the single dumbest decision anyone could make if they wanted to kill people,” Daniel Arbeeny told the AP regarding the directive. Arbeeny said the order convinced him to remove his 88-year-old father from his Brooklyn nursing home, where more than 50 residents had already died of the disease. The elder Mr. Arbeeny passed away of COVID-19 at home.
“This isn’t rocket science. We knew the most vulnerable—the elderly and compromised—are in nursing homes and rehab centers.”
DISCLAIMER: This article is one in a series that Finz & Finz, P.C., publishes to help keep our fellow New Yorkers informed about the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and how it affects them. It is not offered as legal advice. However, if you or someone you love has been injured either due to the coronavirus or the government’s response to it, we would like to hear from you. Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our New York COVID attorneys.