Man Killed in Hit-and-Run Accident in Queens


QUEENS, NY – Police are searching for the driver of a vehicle involved in a fatal hit-and-run in Flushing early Tuesday morning.

The incident occurred at approximately 2:00 a.m. at the intersection of Booth Memorial Avenue and College Point Boulevard, when a 29-year-old man attempting to cross the street was hit by a late model Jeep, which sped off. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Police have not revealed his identity.

Police urge anyone with information to call the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS.

Filing a Civil Claim Against a Hit-and-Run Driver

Combatting hit-and-run fatalities has been one of the major goals of New York’s “Vision Zero” campaign, which seeks to eliminate all traffic deaths in the ten-year window following its 2014 unveiling. Unfortunately, the city is still plagued by hit-and-run crimes, which increased by 26% between 2013 and 2017 to some 46,000 incidents.

If you or someone you love has been injured or worse in a hit-and-run incident in the New York City area, you may be able to recover financial compensation via a civil suit filed against the perpetrator, or through your own insurance. Some important things to keep in mind if you are considering filing a lawsuit:

  • A civil claim for hit-and-run must be filed within three years of the accident. If a suit is being filed alleging wrongful death, the claim must be made within two years of the victim’s passing.
  • New York State follows the pure negligence rule, which assigns each party in an injury a percentage of fault. For example, a victim may be found to be 20% responsible for the accident in which they were injured, which means the other party’s insurance only needs to cover 80% of the damages. However, in most cases of hit-and-run, the fleeing party will be assigned 100% of the fault.
  • In the event that the perpetrator of the hit-and-run incident is never discovered, you may still be covered by the Supplementary Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (SUM) provision in your own policy, which allows you to collect damages for your claim.

The experienced New York hit-and-run accident attorneys of Finz & Finz, P.C., would like to discuss your case with you at your earliest convenience. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.

  • About the Author
  • Latest Posts

Finz & Finz, P.C. is a New York and Long Island personal injury law firm based out of Mineola, NY. It was founded in 1984 and is highly rated, with many honors and awards of excellence.