Lung problems are notoriously difficult to diagnose. The symptoms can be interpreted in so many ways, and separating asthma from allergies from other lung ailments can take thousands of dollars in tests. Still, it’s important those tests are run, as the method of treatment will be different dependent upon the diagnosis.
One of the first things many doctors do when a child is brought in with breathing difficulty is make sure there hasn’t been any exposure to mold. Mold is an insidious presence, hiding in hard-to-see places while destroying long-term health. The doctor will want to be certain that nothing in the house could be developing mold, and parents will frequently search high and low to make sure their child isn’t exposed.
The home is not the only potential place for exposure, however. A recent story out of Minnesota shows just how hard it can be for a parent to be sure what is causing their child’s sickness. Dozens of teachers and students were made ill by mold growing in the school walls before anyone bothered to try to do anything about it.
Mold can cause a variety of illnesses, including:
- Mold allergy
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Potentially causes pulmonary hemorrhage and memory loss
Prolonged exposure to mold can have lasting health effects. If you or your child has been exposed to mold at school or work, please contact an attorney. Schools have a bad habit of minimizing the dangers of exposure, even when teachers and students alike are being hospitalized. It is only through the powers of the court that you can make a school do the right thing and get the mold problem handled.