The fall season is often a reminder for many families to check their smoke detectors, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. With extra company in the house and festive activities taking place in the home, you’ll want your haven to be safe for the holidays by preparing for (and preventing) emergencies before one happens. Carbon monoxide detectors are no exception to an important tool that should be used in your home.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that is odorless and colorless. Unfortunately, these attributes make it very hard to detect a carbon monoxide leak until it has already been inhaled, possibly causing brain damage or death if not detected quickly enough. Situations occur where children watch television in a camper parked in a garage that was improperly ventilated; others have been hospitalized from cars left on in a garage as they were working in the woodshop. The best way to detect a carbon monoxide leak is to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. If your alarm sounds off, your first best step is to call 9-1-1, open some doors and windows to provide proper ventilation, and remove yourself from that area. What are some prevention steps you can take in the mean time?
- Using a space heater to heat areas is a wise choice; never use a stove or oven to heat a house. Never leave a space heater on through the night.
- Gas powered tools should not be used inside the home. Rent a proper one, or borrow a well-maintained one from a reputable store.
- Seek immediate medical attention if you feel nauseated, weak or dizzy for no obvious apparent reason.
- Have your furnaces and ventilation system checked on a regular basis.
- Never use a charcoal grill in the house or in a garage.
Improper use of heating elements happens all the time. Sadly, those people find themselves victims to serious carbon monoxide poisoning—or worse, death. If you or someone you know has suffered the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, you’ll want to seek the advice of a law firm who can help you with your case.