Regardless of the sport, practically everyone starts out as an amateur. That is why we pay good money for experts to teach us tricks of the sport trade, and keep us safe when we are just starting out. Usually if the expert does not do a good job, we’re simply out some time and money. But, when the new activity is dangerous, death or dismemberment can occur when we place our lives in the hands of these trusted professionals.
The widow of a Brooklyn, Iowa man who was killed while in a plane owned by Skydive Iowa has filed suit against the company, and one will find easy to see why. The woman’s husband, Wayne Kidrowski, fell to his death after he was sucked out of the plane and his parachute became caught on the tail of the aircraft. The seatbelt he should have been wearing had been removed from the vehicle previous to his flight. Mr. Kidrowski trusted the professionals to know what they were doing, so he could not have been expected to know the plane had a roll-up door that could have been closed during the flight, an action that would have prevented the accident from taking place. He also could not have guessed the likelihood of air pressure changes resulting in his being sucked from the plane. All he could do was rely on the people he was paying to keep him safe, and he ended up falling hundreds of feet to his death. Despite this, the company remains open.
If you or a loved one is considering a dangerous sport, you should:
- Do online research about the safety of the sport, including the safety of the company you’re hiring.
- Research whether any medical conditions you have might interact negatively with the activity.
- Insist on practicing under the safest conditions possible.
- Be honest with yourself about your own limitations and don’t let someone else pressure you into trying something with which you are not entirely comfortable.
- Never take part in any dangerous activity while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Even taking all these things into account, there is no guarantee of safety. Mr. Kidrowski might have followed every one of these guidelines and still had the same tragic ending, because it is difficult to anticipate negligence. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in such an accident, do not hesitate to contact a lawyer who specializes in personal injury cases. This can often be the only way to make sure a company does not stay open through multiple tragedies.