New York Snow and Ice Injury Lawyer
Wintertime is coming. Already the warm summer nights have turned into cold fall days. Winter weather is coming fast. This time of year is challenging because winter-weather hazards can result in many slip-and-fall injuries.
The National Safety Council estimates that there are more than 1,500 deaths per year, along with approximately 300,000 accident injuries that occur as a result of the winter weather.
Safe Winter Walking To Avoid Accidents
When walking to and from your job, different buildings, or parking lots, you need to remember these tips to keep from slipping and falling.
- Give yourself enough time to get to your destination
- Wear shoes/boots that give traction on snow and ice
- Avoid plastic and leather soles
- Use your vehicle for support when entering and exiting
- Walk in designated walkways, limit the shortcuts
- Take small steps to keep your balance
- Walk slowly, never run
- Keep both hands free for balance
- Avoid carrying heavy loads
- Test potential slippery areas by tapping your foot on them
- Keep walkways clear of dangerous materials
Sometimes these helpful hints don't work and you slip and fall on ice or snow anyway. Some tips to try to reduce your injury are:
- Try to twist and roll backwards, instead of falling forward
- Relax when you begin to fall
- Drop everything instead of holding onto items. Protect yourself first
- Fall using your thigh, hip or shoulder to avoid using your arms, which can break more easily
If you, a family member or a friend have suffered from an injury as a result of a Slip and fall on snow or ice, contact Finz & Finz, P.C. at (888) FINZ-FIRM now to speak with an experienced Snow and Ice Accident Lawyer or fill out the Free Snow and Ice Injury Case Evaluation form.