Chemical Burns at a Place of Employment One of Many Hazards
February 16, 2016 | Finz & Finz, P.C.
Not all burns are created alike, and it is important to keep that in mind if you need to provide first aid for yourself or others in the event of a burn.
Chemical burns are among the most likely type to occur in an industrial accident, or when working with heavy-duty cleaners at the home or in an office. There are hundreds of chemicals that can cause this type of burn if human skin is exposed to them. Knowing what you are working with is the most important thing when seeking to prevent a chemical burn in the same place. You should know your household cleaners, and your work should train you regarding which substances you encounter are dangerous.
Unfortunately, proper workplace training is frequently neglected, and workers are exposed to dangerous substances on a routine basis. If you or someone else suffers a chemical burn, you should:
- Remove the chemical as best you can (remembering to keep yourself safe by wearing gloves and other safety equipment)
- Remove any article of clothing (including jewelry and glasses) that are contaminated
- Rinse the affected area with cool water
- Apply a bandage or gauze, taking special care that it is not too tight
- If you have any questions regarding the chemicals you work with, make sure to ask them. Also, make sure you know where first aid kits are, and that they are suitably stocked. You don’t want to discover there is no gauze or bandages after a burn has occurred.
If you have suffered a chemical burn on-the-job, it is likely this injury has restricted your ability to work. Workers’ compensation is a good place to start when it comes to making sure your family gets by, but the benefits are often small and run out before you are able to return to work. If you believe your injury was due to workplace negligence, seek out an experienced lawyer who will help you discover whether or not your employer is in fact guilty of neglect.
Additional Info: Toxic Exposure
Tags: Toxic Exposure Accident Law Firm New York, Manhattan Attorneys for Toxic Exposure New York, Toxic Exposure Law Firm Manhattan, Manhattan Toxic Exposure Law Firm